1 (edited by Amadiere 2005-01-24 12:02)

Topic: Can't create Cache file after install...

This isn't really a problem anymore (I've solved it as far as i'm concerned) - but I'm hoping I can save someone else the hassle. (if they are equally as new to linux as me).
I installed a fresh version of Fedora Core 3 and got running everything needed for PunBB. I installed it, it created the databases and finished everything happily. Got to the "create the config.php" file screen of install and it told me "cache" and "img/avatars" were not writeable & that I should chmod 0777 them if I was struggling. Makes perfect sense.... Except ... it didn't work...

I then tried many many extreme idea's before deciding start taking some @'s of the code it was failing on in the PHP to get the error messages actually being given by PHP. Got these error messages and it was clearly saying it STILL didn't have permissions (by this time everything is owned by the apache user and 777'd). I started to get frustrated till I finally found the little devil.

SELinux is enabled.... simply disable it to allow PHP to write to directories outside of /tmp
(or of course - you could alter some of the settings maybe? I never tried this as the box I'm working on is a development box and won't be used as live).

Problem solved.

Again - probably something someone even slightly more linux trained than a goldfish-on-the-dole could have spotted.... But I'm not that goldfish sadly and it took me a while.

Re: Can't create Cache file after install...

Good tip, but is SELinux enabled by default in Fedore Core?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yep, it would seem this is the default for Core 3 release - not sure (though I'm lead to believe not) for previous versions.

I had the same problem, but even if i deactivate the SELinux the problem continues.  After check and check i saw the eth0 was not checkd as confidence device, check and all goes fine.

Sorry for my terrible English.

Great Work