Topic: Admin language

Hi there,

I'm about 95% sure, that I'll use this board for a project, but I've found out, that I have to translate the whole admin area within the php code. IMHO thats not that cool.
Well and what I wanted to know is, are there any plans for the future to use a main language file? Something like : $lang["user"] = "string"; ?

IMO it's not that server intensive to include a language config file in the admin area, because the admin is not used so much so far:)

I haven't found any post like this with the search,.. sooo.,...

The language for the admin could be integrated within the users table. Each language is an INT and is related to another table ie "language" *g* and contains an ID and varchar field. the id, is the language id and the varchar the language name. Then it would be quite easy to extend the language file like this. $lang[1]["user"] = "string"; the [1] would be the lang id. Within the code it could be like that: echo $lang[$user_lang]["user"];

Or...

the language table contains an extra field, let uz call it "lang_file"... and it contains the filename of the languagefile, that has to be included.

anyhows,..

what do you think about it?

greetz biophonc

Re: Admin language

Making the admin interface "translatable" is being considered. It's just such an incredibly boring and time consuming thing to do.

I can't see how involving the database would do any good. Why would you want to have the admin interface in different languages?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Why would you want to have the admin interface in different languages?

Because I config the forum for an klient and the klient want the admininterface in german. (to my discomfort) The klient is the such pain in the a**! But the klient is the king,.. or however this phrase goes like:P

I don't think that it's a 'time consuming thing to do'. ^^ Maybe a day of replacing some lines and adding some new. The only thing that may be robs some time, is to decide what kind of language system to use. The translations can be made by each individual,... so you don't have to bother w it ;)
The code is not that blown up (my reason to take this forum) & so ya don't have to reedit hundrets of files :P

greets biophonc

Well, if the admin interface will be translatable in the next version, I will do it just like I've done with the rest of the forum. It's fast and simple.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I'm all for internationalizing the admin interface. But I'm also all for working and building on PunBB until Rickard says one day, "Hey there's nothing else to do, let's make the admin interface translatable!"

Of course, whether or not such a day will come, is another matter altogether.

we not need translate admin interface, but it's hard to reading english with RTL right to left.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

I can imagine :D

hm....Rickard
And if somebody will make it for you???
You will add then multi-language ?
IMHO admin interface should be multi-language ! smile
(Water punches a stone. We shall wait)

PHP - It is our life ...

zaher wrote:

we not need translate admin interface, but it's hard to reading english with RTL right to left.

Why don't you place a mirror in front of your monitor and then read from the mirror. It should work fine ;)

10 (edited by zaher 2005-01-29 12:57)

snapsolutions wrote:

Why don't you place a mirror in front of your monitor and then read from the mirror. It should work fine wink

Good idea, that mean i must upload zipped mirror to my language pack big_smile lol?

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.