1 (edited by RaWeN 2005-01-26 23:47)

Topic: Scrolling images...

Instead of a large image being contained within scrollbars i would like it to make the whole forum grow towards the right part of the screen. Ive been testing a bit on my own but so far ive only been able to make the image:
1. dissapear under the forum edge...
2. The image is shown in its full glory, but the forum is still the same width and it looks kinda strange.

So, is there any CSS-gurus here who could help me correct this little(??) problem, you could just tell me to get another hobby but i would prefer the first alternative ;-)

//Micke

Re: Scrolling images...

Very difficult, maybe possible only with javascript. The whole design concept is that nothing should be allowed to break the layout of the forum because that makes it easier to integrate it into a webpage with other content.  In fact the scrollbars are probably going to be replaced in version 1.2.1 with a system which makes images shrink to fit.

Thought about that possibility so ill just have to go with just the image growing out of the framework then.

Paul, thanks for clearing this up for me.

Now im confused... if using these settings the forum does what i want in Firefox 1.0, is this because the browser doesnt comply with the standard or is it maybe Internet Explorer that doesnt?

7.4:
DIV.blockpost, DIV.postleft, DIV.postsignature, DIV.postmsg {OVERFLOW: visible}
DIV.incqbox {WIDTH: 100%; OVERFLOW: hidden }
DIV.scrollbox {WIDTH: 100%; OVERFLOW: visible}

Changed DIV.blockpost from overflow: hidden to visible and scrollbox from auto to visible.

Since its obviously is possible (error or not), could this perhaps be duplicated in Explorer? At this point i dont really need the forum to validate so a quick and dirty fix is welcome.

I thought you wanted the whole forum to grow. I would expect the changes you made to just make the post grow. Are you trying to get 1.2 to behave the same way as 1.1 (assuming you are familiar with 1.1)?

Also, the overflow:hidden on blockpost is there to cure a rather nasty bug in firefox though that will dissapear when firefox 1.1 in released, hopefully in March.

Thats just my point, the changes i made makes the whole forum to grow right in firefox... I can get you a screenshot later if you want.

I havent used PunBB earlier, we've been using PhpBB for some time and in every aspect pun is better (easier to customize, very fast, small, and made by a Swede!), since its a photography forum it would be better to get this behaviour but for some reason we overlooked this mayor fact when we decided to begin the transition to pun.

The bug youre talking about, how nasty is nasty? I cant duplicate any bug at all using Firefox 1.0...

The nasty bug is the slashdot bug. It can cause big gaps to open up in the layout under the images.  It's triggered by images without dimensions. Gecko browsers guess where to put everything on screen before the image has arrived but don't adjust positioning once the images dimensions are known. Doing anything which causes the page to reflow such as sizing by dragging, changing font size or doing a soft refresh will instantly cure it. Let me think about this, I will get back to you.

Paul wrote:

Let me think about this, I will get back to you.

Any clever ideas on how to solve this?