1 (edited by graue 2005-02-19 03:14)

Topic: Tracking of unread posts

Hello, I've just learned of PunBB and it seems pretty cool. I don't like the tracking of unread posts, though. It seems that a topic continues to be marked as unread after I've seen the page with the last post in it.

I would like to be able to mark topics as unread just by viewing them (if they are multipage topics, by viewing the last page). I frequent several phpBBs and find this feature makes it much easier to catch up on new posts; I simply go from one forum to another loading the topics marked as new, and then when I'm done, reload the main index to see if I've missed any or anyone posted a new message while I was reading.

Also, I would like this to be the ONLY way - other than manually marking all topics as read - for topics to go to unread status.

I don't know of any other message board software that works this way, but it would be really nice.

Quite frequently, I load a message board index, then I get distracted or lose my connection and do something else for a little while. When I come back, it's impossible to track the new posts.

Many people probably don't have the same preferences I do, so would it be possible for a user option to match the above behaviors ("mark posts as read on viewing" and "don't mark posts as read when a new session starts")?

Finally, one small request to make it easier to ignore a forum I'm not interested in: I would like a "Mark all forum topics as read" link on each forum, in addition to being able to mark all topics read board-wide.

Thanks in advance for replies'n'stuff,
Graue

Re: Tracking of unread posts

Do a search for "unread" for all the previous discussions on this topic.

Okay, I see there's a mod that seems to do what I want... sorry, I hadn't thought to look in that section.

The problem I have with the current behavior is, well, imagine the following situation.

I visit the board. Topics A, B, C, D, and E all have new posts since my last visit. I go through reading them in order.

While I'm reading topic D, another user makes a post in topic C. When done, I hit "mark all topics as read" or just sign off the site. I completely miss the new post in topic C.

On a busy board this can make it incredibly difficult to catch up. I know because I visit a couple of vBulletins and it's such a huge pain to keep up to date on them I sometimes don't even bother.

Anyway, I guess I'll install the mod if I set up any PunBBs of my own. Thanks.

do like me, i click on the link that say "view posts since last visit" and you see all the posts made since your last visit...and if there are new ones sinces this visit they will show at the top. they show up via the last post date and the last time you visited....

That's a good idea. Okay, I'm convinced that the lackluster unread/read posts tracking is acceptable. smile

Though I probably will still want to install that mod if I set up my own PunBB.

graue: Tried this?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I saw it. I'd probably prefer something server-side, though; I was referring to this mod.