1 (edited by frank 2005-02-20 21:40)

Topic: "New Posts" link does not work correctly in IE6

I don't use IE so I didn't notice it, but users are reporting (and I duplicated) that clicking "New Posts" in the "Show New Posts Since Last Visit" area does not bring them to the new posts in the thread but rather to the first post in the thread.  It works as intended in both Firefox and Mozilla, bringing you to the first new post in the thread as indicated.

Is there a quick fix workaround?  Looks like about 70% of my users are using IE (unfortunately for them) so it's a bit of a big issue.

I'm on version 1.2.1 with only the BBCode mod installed.

Re: "New Posts" link does not work correctly in IE6

I've never encounted this problem. Could we get a link to the forums in question?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

The forum is http://www.dvrchatter.com/ .

IE6 seems to have trouble with <DIV ID="xxx"> anchors. <A NAME="xxx"> anchors work OK.

viewtopic.php line 313? wink

Hmm, having said that, the "new posts" links seem to work OK here on the punbb.org forums using IE6. I'm confused now.

I also noticed that the last post links work fine on your forum with IE6 so IE6 does jump to links by ID without any difficulty.

EDIT:

Correction. It works sometimes but not others. Very odd. Since nobody else has ever reported this it would appear to be specific to you. Maybe connected in some way to all those adverts.

6 (edited by bweissman 2005-02-21 00:02)

I'm not responsible for that forum, just a user who has been having trouble with it.

I concur, it works sometimes but not always. All I can think of is the Google or Blogads JavaScript which displays the advertisements, which vary from page to page, might be causing the problem.

I don't mean to open a can of worms, but this issue is kind of driving me a little nuts.  With the help of a kind member of my forum, I've gone through and made sure my coding to add in the ads is 100% validated at validator.w3.org.  This issue still occurs at times in IE where it will not jump down to the "new post" via the anchor.
this seems to indicate that anchors cannot start with numbers, but I haven't seen that anywhere else.  It does describe the problem.  I also read that if the browser cannot find an anchor it will not generate an error but will stay at the top of the page.  IE seems strict, Firefox does not.

Does anyone know if that is accurate that anchors cannot start with a number?

It's not anchors that can't start with numbers, its ID's. That is exactly the reason all the post ID's are prefixed with the letter "p". If you look at the ID for your post you will see that it is p35272. I think if you can't duplicate the problem on this board and nobody else has experienced the probem then it is not PunBB.

I will have a quick look around and see if there is anything obvious that stands out.

I can't see anything obvious. That fact that you ads validate doesn't tell you anything. It's the javascript thats bothering me. The google stuff should be ok but I don't know about blogads. Have you tried commenting out the ads stuff and then testing.

Well, as there wouldn't be bandwidth or hosting without the ads, it looks like it's going to be one of those "live with it" things.  Another reason for folks to make the switch to Firefox.

If you think of anything that would totally break "New Posts" in IE but not Firefox, please let me know.  Thanks for your help.