Topic: have the strong tag be part of css instead of code

I see the <strong> tag coming up quite a few times in the output. All of the times it could as well be part of the stylesheet, so users have more control of the look.

Re: have the strong tag be part of css instead of code

you can still define the strong tag in the stylesheet can't you?

I thought the other way was the more logical: users use 'strong' when they like in the css instead of styling the strong tag to something looking like regular text?

<strong> is used to hightlight important text though, which is its proper use, so there is nothing wrong with using  <strong> is there? infact if you didn't it would require more in the already quite complicated styles

The fact that the strong tag is in the markup does not decrease style creators abilities to control the look. Why would it?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

"is used to hightlight important text"

I agree. But shouldn't users be able to say what text is important to them on a page? I don't think the user name of a post and his/her rank are eg more important than the post content.

you can style it differently then...

The reason the strong tag is used is to emphasise important text for those who are using screen readers or who are viewing the page in a text only display. Styling it with the stylesheet would do nothing for those users since they cannot see the styled output. It's the designers privilege to decide what content should be emphasised and what should not. If you don't like it just use strong {font-weight: normal}.