Topic: Email using PHP, sometimes not sent/received.

Once I've used the mail() function to email out registration verification code but somehow there are quite a number of people who never receive them. Whenever I test it, I am able to get the email from my Yahoo!, GMail or Hotmail accounts but somehow some other Yahoo! users said they never receive it and not even in the Bulk mail.

It was hectic to send these verification emails one by one using my own web based email. Anybody knows the reason why these emails are not sent to certain users? Can somebody advise on this? Thanks. smile

Re: Email using PHP, sometimes not sent/received.

Well, it could be that your ISP doesn't allow you to send e-mails to certain domains. My ISP did not allow sending e-mails to aol addresses if you used your own SMTP server. Now port 25 is blocked completely so I have to use their own SMTP relay server.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by buzzkill 2005-03-14 22:02)

Thats sucks Rickard.  I am sure there are more positives than negatives with your ISP smile  Its to bad legit people have to jump through hoops.

how do you know rickard is a legit person? tongue

5 (edited by buzzkill 2005-03-14 22:40)

lol  Anyone that has to put up with all of our BS, and still remain semi-sane has to be a least 3/4 legit.  hehe

Who knows, maybe he is resposible for all the Vi@GrA emails that every male seems to get.  Not that I have a problem, but I seem to get tons of "enhancement" emails.  Even on newly created email accounts.  lol.  I better shutup. /me sees the target getting painted.

buzzkill wrote:

Thats sucks Rickard.  I am sure there are more positives than negatives with your ISP smile  Its to bad legit people have to jump through hoops.

Most ISP's are doing this now, blocking port 25. Then you have to play handshake games with their smtp server to use it as a smarthost, not fun at all.

Hopefully one day I can get a real ISP and get away from an ADSL line.

It should be noted that my ISP is the largest in Sweden smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

That would suck if I had to start using a SMTP.
I always just use the mail function, and dont know how to do much else...

Anyway, I have had this problem before, normally with free web hosters. Its probably just the mail servers arent sending out the emails that it should

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

9 (edited by gezz 2005-03-15 20:37)

Im having the same problem, when I use the User Managment plug a lot of my users say they dont recieve the email containg their password so I end up having to set up the account manualy. Is there some sort of time limit within punbb to build up the emails and mass send them or does punbb sent the emails instantly?

-gezz

no they are sent instantly, you could try entering SMTP details if mail() is causing you problems

Alot of web hosters dont give you any SMTP information wink

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

no use your own, either your ISP or your servers... or someone elses