1 (edited by Try007 2005-03-22 10:30)

Topic: Install "error" (no errror mes.) - only blank pages, ver mismatch, etc

I tried to install the latest version. Everything went well to begin with, and the database was created. But when I tried to start the forum (index.php) absolutely nothing happened. Whatever I try to run nothing happens (no error messages whatsoever). When I checked the index.php I noticed that there was an error at the end of the file. I don't know how it should look like, but I know that something is wrong here. I tried to correct it, but my knowledge in PHP is not enough.

I wonder, can I install an earlier version without any problem and just by running the setup-file for the earlier version (until this version works), or is there a quick fix for the problem?

Maybe a problem with the zip-file?
There were no files in the root directory... is that correct? All files were in the "upload"-directory. What files should be in the root directory?

EDIT:
I forgot to say that the last lines (line 207-214) in the index.php file looks like;
        </div>
    </div>
</div>
<?php

$footer_style = 'index';
require PUN_ROOT.'footer.php';
ÿÿ

EDIT #2:

I've gotten a few steps further.
There was an ÿ-sign at the end config.php . I deleted this and added the end of the php-string.

Next error I got was that there was no language pack. I found another file somewhere on this site to see how it should look like. That worked.

But the I instead got a new error-essage;
"An error was encountered"
"Error: Unable to fetch category/forum list."

So what can I do. I then tried to upgrade to 1.1.5.
Then I got another error;
"An error was encountered"
"File: /customers/hotpot.se/hotpot.se/httpd.www/php/forum/11_to_115_update.php
Line: 66

PunBB reported: Version mismatch. This script updates version 1.1 and 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 to version 1.1.5. The database 'my_database' doesn't seem to be running a supported version"

Well, it's correct that I don't run anything, because I don't seem to be able to start the forum, but I'm pretty sure I've installed version 1.1.4 according to the instructions, and the database seem to be  absolutley correct.

Re: Install "error" (no errror mes.) - only blank pages, ver mismatch, etc

i suggest the first thing you do is delete everything except config.php download the file again (make sure you don't upload your previous download) (also its probably 1.2.4 not 1.1.4?) the upload all the files again to make sure they are not corrupt, config.php should not have a ?> at the end it just just end with

define('PUN', 1);

also turn on debug mode in the top of common.php then see what errors you get and paste them here

3 (edited by Try007 2005-03-22 11:53)

OK, I start all over again.

A question before I do anything;
In the dowloaded file index.php the last lines are;

</div>
    </div>
</div>
<?php

$footer_style = 'index';
require PUN_ROOT.'footer.php';
ÿÿ

Is that correct, or how should it look like?

I guess if there is a ÿ-sign in any file something is wrong...?

ADD:
NOW IT WORKS !!
It seems like it's Dreamweaver that adds the ÿ-sign which destroys everything !
I have never seen this before and I've edited many PHP-files before. This is the first time this happens. Guess I have to find a better editor for PHP-files :-)

4 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2005-03-22 18:25)

Notepad2 big_smile
you can even replace windows notepad with it like i did.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more