Topic: Netscape 6.0 display bug

I have recently installed PunBB and I had report of some user unable to register. The problem was that they couldn't find no text fields to fill  at all.  I thought it was my CSS, but when I pointed them to this board, they couldn't register either. All they would see is blank table with no text fields.  This bug seem related only to Netscape 6.0

Here's what they get:

http://stonegate.furvect.com/tmp/NetscapeError.jpg

Does anyone know a workarround to this bug?

Thanks

Re: Netscape 6.0 display bug

PunBB doesn't officically support Netscape 6 because there is no reason for anyone still to be using it.

at some occations there's no option to select what browser to use, like on some companies, heck it's still Netscape 4.7 on the solaris computers on the univ, "as it works" ... luckily though they have added a quite up to date mozilla aswell, but the point is that there may be reasons why people use it ...

You mean I'm paying my taxes for students to spend their time surfing the web smile

Just to show willing, I'm installing a copy of NS6.01. I will see what I can come up with.

This is exactly why Web Development drives me crazy.  Any other industry would say you have to move forward.  But noooooooo.  I motion that all browsers shall have an experation date and stop working when they expire.  Good Luck Paul.  NS 6.x is such a bad browser.

why do people use old version of browsers:

Netscape 7.2    5822
Netscape 7.1    1332
Netscape 7.02    337
Netscape 7.01    1475
Netscape 7.0    201
Netscape 6.2.3    5
Netscape 6.2.1    9
Netscape 6.1    4
Netscape 5.0    5
Netscape 4.78    2
Netscape 4.77    128
Netscape 4.73    1
Netscape 4.61    4
Netscape 4.5    7
Netscape 4.08    2
Netscape 4.06    11
Netscape 4.05    1
Netscape 4.01    1
Netscape 4.0    734
Netscape 3.01    13
Netscape 2.02    24

browser and hits on mypunbb (out of a total 970,000 hits)

It's amazing that with the maturity of Firefox and Mozilla, people are still using Netscape.

I used Netscape 4.x until Mozilla matured enough to move away from it, but I guess some institutions are stuck.

That kind of ties in with the latest browser stats I've seen. Netscape 7 is showing at around 1% with Netscape 4 at 0.2% and versions in between too few to measure. Whats interesting is that my reading of the numbers is that Firefox is not only taking away users from IE6 but is now taking away the last remaining users from Netscape and also eating into Mozilla and Opera. Strange as it may seem, if Firefox and Thunderbird continue as at present then Mozilla itself will become redundant. Anyway, thats my off topic contribution for the week.

Installed NS6.01 and the forms are working fine. Since I can't duplicate the problem I can't fix it.