Topic: Off-site Avatars

How come PunBB doesn't include linking to off-site avatars?
If you would have no avatars support at all, I would understand completely.
But PunBB includes uploading avatars but not off-site linking.
The advantage of off-site avatars is that they will not use my bandwidth.

Re: Off-site Avatars

And the disadvantage is that your forums will be filled with broken images.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Amen to that.
I had this problem with numerous other systems.

It also takes pages longer (much longer) to load becasue I has to query all these external pages.

Rickard wrote:

Makes sense. Didn't thought about that.

5 (edited by Jérémie 2005-04-10 17:10)

Rickard wrote:

Why not use a standard fixed size ? I mean, if the admin set avatar to 60x60 pixel for example, well set all avatar to that size in html/css. No more broken image, and a *lot* of HTTP request no on the forum server anymore (so maybe you would trade this for a server side read/not-read thread thing wink ).

I would like to have off site than upload it saves much more space on the server.

Jérémie wrote:

Why not use a standard fixed size ? I mean, if the admin set avatar to 60x60 pixel for example, well set all avatar to that size in html/css. No more broken image, and a *lot* of HTTP request no on the forum server anymore (so maybe you would trade this for a server side read/not-read thread thing wink ).

True about the HTTP requests, but there would still be broken images. I don't know how specifying a fixed size would help that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Maybe there could be an option added or a hack. Where the users gives an url to offsite avater. Then punBB could download (cache ) the image. This will fix the broken image problem and the possibilty to verify that the image is according to forum rules.

Offcourse you will not save bandwidth with this option.  And you could encouter problems with copyrights.

Orpheus: But then people could just as well just save the image to their harddrive and upload it?

Rickard wrote:

True about the HTTP requests, but there would still be broken images. I don't know how specifying a fixed size would help that.

I misunderstood you, I thought you were talking about image braking the layout.

Well of course some avatars won't display, because their host is down or something, what's the issue ? It would be like having no avatar.  Everyone can handle it's own hosting, if they can't they can find help on the forums by asking others.

I'm on several forums where this is working heavily right for image sig, without issues.

Rickard wrote:

Orpheus: But then people could just as well just save the image to their harddrive and upload it?

true. Was thinking about it later on . My fault.  another working smile possibility is to check if the off-site image exists before including it.
But this would mean that every time a topic is being viewed the server must check all off-site image. Creating a lot of httpd connections and eating up  a lot of resources. As direct result it will take longer for the topic to load.

So not really an option I guess for punBB. But for those who really like such an option maybe as a hack.

Nononono, it's a good idea, especially for PunBB and its light philosophy. Just don't overcheck things, it's outside avatars or inside ones (admin's configuration), not both smile

Its better not to have avatars from outside. Either it should be inbuilt, or should be uploaded by the users individually.

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

Why it's better ?

Coz, If there is no image in the remote server, then this site ll look acquard with out images. and as we all discussed above here, each time refering/checking avatars for broken link, again it ll simply use the bandwidth i think. Simply its not worth doing it.

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily