1 (edited by scottywz 2005-05-30 21:27)

Topic: ScottyWZ.COM

I connverted my Web site, ScottyWZ.COM, to use PunBB for content management. It may sound awkward, but it makes it easier for me to edit my site. I had to play around with the parser to support HTML in posts (I'm the only one who can post). Please give me your feedback.

Re: ScottyWZ.COM

Not too bad - it appears to work fairly well.  You're missing 'Supplementary information' from the main navigation (it's in the dropdown), but I don't know if that's intentional or not.

My only real comment is regarding the colour scheme - have you thought about your choice of yellow and red?  Maybe it's just me and the time, but the yellow and red is a bit hard on the eyes. big_smile

I lied.  Also, why have your main logo point to your main logo?  Have this link to the main page of your site, instead.  The 'Home' link will get you home, certainly, but most people equate site logo with link to home page.

~Jk

The logo is just a thumbnail. The supplementary pages link being left off is intentional, because that's just for things I want accessible but not in the main navigation, like the toolbar page. Thanks for the theme comment.

4 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-04 20:03)

You can register on my Web site to change the colors. I'm thinking of combining all 3 accounts (the site, the forums, and the SECM) into one.

So that's intentional that the logo acts like a thumbnail (click on the thumbnail to get a larger image)?  If so, why?  smile

I just wanted it to be that way. Thanks for the suggestion; Ill make it point to the home page. smile

I just now did it.

In my opinion, much better, and not as confusing to me smile

Thanks. I actually may take the code behind my Web site and release it as PunCMS. Hey, PunBB is released under the GPL, isn't it? (And it would seem that mods have to be released under a GPL-compatible license.)

i don't think rickard wants someone to call anything PunCMS, at least not straight away - http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=21917#p21917 - not that he can stop you but it would be polite not to use it wink also i don't think its quite a cms, i'm not sure how much extra admin stuff you have, but too me it only looks like you have stripped down punbb not added to it

I'd have to think of a different name, then.

what have you actually done?

How do you mean?

well what does your cms do in the way of content managing wink i mean is it more than you have just removed part of it to make it look less like a forum?

I did change the language files some. I setup TinyMCE to use as a WYSIWYG editor.  So, basically yes. smile

jamesrskemp wrote:

My only real comment is regarding the colour scheme - have you thought about your choice of yellow and red?  Maybe it's just me and the time, but the yellow and red is a bit hard on the eyes. big_smile

~Jk

Well, I did change the default color scheme to my new Brown one (too lazy to put the link up right now) if any eyes are hurting. smile

Ah, snazzy - very nice big_smile

The ability to choose, from any page, a style/scheme to use, that stays with a user (whether logged in or not) should be fairly easy to do, right? (Pass through the URL - maybe this has been addressed elsewhere already)

That came to mind some. Maybe in a cookie?

19 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-07 02:07)

Yeah, the style selection really needs improvement. smile

I was actually thinking as a variable passed through the URL to PHP...  That's probably more of a PunBB enhancement, rather than something that individuals should take on, though.  I'm also not sure of the usefulness of such a feature, nor whether it has already been recommended.

where would the option be though? and if it was passed through the url it would be really really annoying since every link in punbb would have to be changed, and it would be lost when you left the site tongue

Connorhd wrote:

where would the option be though? and if it was passed through the url it would be really really annoying since every link in punbb would have to be changed, and it would be lost when you left the site tongue

Would be great for demo'ing styles though, but I can see how it would be impractical for regular use..

Point made - I like the possible demo use - seeing a style change on one press of the button, instead of two/three (change style, save changes, go back to preferences screen) would be nice, if you're not sure what each style looks like ...  *That* would be a somewhat easier change.

Beyond demos - point taken, it would be impractical and bulky.

Not if the preference were stored in a cookie.

then you have another cookie, and where is the option?