Topic: The day I never thought I would see

I just read over on Neowin that, according to a CNET News post, Apple are planning to announce that they are moving over to Intel. Now, there have been rumors about this before, but for some reason, I am more inclined to believe it this time around. I guess we'll all see tomorrow. All I know right now is that I am holding my fingers crossed that I will be able to install MacOSX on my regular "PC" some time in the future smile Sure, Apple might choose to go with a different architecture than x86, but in my opinion, that would be suicide.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: The day I never thought I would see

I always had a theory that the only thing that might give windows a run for its money was OSX ported to x86 and then sold cheap. I suspect I will be sadly disappointed about the cheap bit.

An interesting post on this: http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2005/ … ssion.html

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

For those interested, The Mac Observer will be providing "live coverage" of Jobs keynote. If this is in the form of a video stream or if it just means they will be reporting throughout the keynote, I don't know.

Hmmm....

Does this give room for duel-boot of Windoze and Mac?
yikes

well from what i've seen it is x86 but it'll still want mac boxes to run, so they might not be releasing mac os x to install on a pc, it doesn't mean it won't be possible though wink

7 (edited by middleground 2005-06-07 11:57)

I think this is fantastic news. I think I would still stick with Apple hardware (flawless in 15 years of owning one), but the option to throw it on my kids dell would be sweet.

As for cost, and comment on wouldn't be cheap, the current MacOS is can be easily bought for $110 per user (with no activation at this time), and 5-user for $200. Compare that to current WinXP prices and very comparable, especially on the multiuser front.

As for hardware- Apple has maintained its control, as done when they allowed others to build macs, through the requirement of the Apple CMOS. Not sure if this is still the requirement, but would easily permit Dell to slap in Apple CMOS and the OS and be off and running.

I think it is sad that the G5 may be the last of the PowerPC. Speeds finally getting 2Ghz+ and I think it is a much cooler running chip. And with comparable speeds, much more power (no pun intended) per cycle (the old RISC vs CISC debate).

Anyway- I think it is great, woohoo!!!!!

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

i doubt they will sell it to be install on any pc, considering the amount of hardware they would have to support

Connorhd wrote:

i doubt they will sell it to be install on any pc, considering the amount of hardware they would have to support

Wait...Isn't the OS open source though?
I was almost positive that is was...

Oh, wait - yeah it is:
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

wink

darwin isn't mac os x is it?

11 (edited by middleground 2005-06-07 17:38)

Connorhd wrote:

darwin isn't mac os x is it?

From my phpinfo:

System     Darwin MDLG4IB.local 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh

and     Apache/1.3.33 (Darwin) PHP/4.3.10

and from link above, appears darwin already available for x86:

Quotes from the website:

Beneath the appealing, easy-to-use interface of Mac OS X is a rock-solid foundation that is engineered for stability, reliability, and performance. This foundation is a core operating system commonly known as Darwin.

Darwin is the core of Mac OS X.

To be more technical, however - It's like running a stripped down version of windows without Explorer.

erissiva wrote:

To be more technical, however - It's like running a stripped down version of windows without Explorer.

I seriously doubt many would call OS-X a "stripped down version of Windows.....".
{.....resisting the flame bait?......}

Nono....I was just using an example. I'm not comparing the 2 OSs. I was just saying that it's a similar situation.

Darwin is the Unix (BSD-flavor with a mach-like kernel) base of OSX. The Apple GUI is not free or open source, nor are the programs like Safari. However, you can successfully run Gnome or KDE off of Darwin.

middleground wrote:

I think it is sad that the G5 may be the last of the PowerPC. Speeds finally getting 2Ghz+ and I think it is a much cooler running chip. And with comparable speeds, much more power (no pun intended) per cycle (the old RISC vs CISC debate).

This is simply not true. One of the main reasons Apple are moving away from IBM and teaming up with Intel is "Performance per watt". At least that's what Steve Jobs said in the keynote. He showed this graph:

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/tradeshows/2005/WWDC/perfperwatt.jpg

The G5 runs notoriously hot and consumes massive amounts of power. This is the reason there is no G5 Powerbook. The argument is kind of ironic though. Anandtech writes:

Why is that ironic? Because all AnandTech readers know that presently, AMD provides far better performance per watt than Intel.

Regardless, I'm buying one of these. Apple have said that they won't make it impossible to run e.g. Windows on the same computer. A beautiful Apple computer running both MacOS X and Windows. Almost sounds too good to be true.

BTW: Did anyone else notice that Steve wasn't wearing his trademark "blue jeans and black shirt"? smile

17 (edited by middleground 2005-06-10 14:56)

Stand corrected on the heat...good thing I said "I think"...I'm still poking along on my G4 iBook (which I never hear a fan run)...I knew the dual processors were heaters, but didn't think the single one was that bad...

Regardless, I'm buying one of these. Apple have said that they won't make it impossible to run e.g. Windows on the same computer. A beautiful Apple computer running both MacOS X and Windows. Almost sounds too good to be true.

Well can sort of do that now with Virtual PC. I've a bit slow on the emulated win side, but one can do it. Does sound good having both at full speed on one.

BTW: Did anyone else notice that Steve wasn't wearing his trademark "blue jeans and black shirt"?

Oh yeah..I envision an entire closet of these outfits.

Curious though- it says integer, isn't the power of the PowerPC when it comes to floating point?
Personally I think he'll follow, as in the past, whatever stats make it look good. Remember the less (Mhz.) is actually more (RISC vs CISC) argument. smile

middleground wrote:

Personally I think he'll follow, as in the past, whatever stats make it look good.

Exactly smile