Topic: Multiple moderator groups

I've done a search through the feature suggestion forum and not seen anything quite like what I'm interested in.

User groups are great.  We're using them to provide different classes of users access to different forums.  That works as far as it goes.  But some of those user classes should also be moderators.  Now I know I can say to moderators, just don't visit the forums you're not supposed to, but I'd rather have those forums not show up.

To do what I want, I need to define more than one group as having moderator status so that I can then control which forums those moderators can read.  I hope that makes sense.

With a little work, I can probably dig through and get something like this working, but it seems like other people might also benefit from this change.

Appologies in advance if I'm bringing up something that has already been discussed.

2 (edited by Smartys 2005-06-08 20:21)

Re: Multiple moderator groups

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4549
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7127 (not really the full topic of the post, but I suggested it here)
It has been suggested before wink

I actually just had a good idea on how to implement this.
Add a moderate column to the forum_perms table.
To check to see if a user is a moderator, you grab fp.moderator in the query.

That way, you can set groups of people as moderator as well as specific people (and as for which to take into account, just make it so if one is true, then they're a moderator)

Edit: In fact, if Rickard isn't going to put this in I'll make a mod for it myself tongue

3 (edited by Squeg 2005-06-08 20:29)

I'd seen the first link you list, which is similar, but not really the same thing, in my opinion.  He wants to give different moderators different powers and I just want different moderator enabled group so that I can use the exisiting forum controls to turn access on and off.

The second link is what I was thinking about.  Though I hadn't considered the option of just putting users in more than one group.

Personally, i think managing users in multiple groups is harder from a UI standpoint than just being able to apply mod status to existing groups.  You can also work around the users in multiple groups thing by creating enough groups to handle all your different access needs.  There really isn't a work around for the moderator thing.

-- edit --
you updated while i was typing.  Sounds like a reasonable plan.  I haven't had time to dig into the sql structure and examine the queries on the pages to see where moderator status was checked.

4 (edited by Smartys 2005-06-08 20:51)

edit.php, delete.php, moderate.php, viewtopic.php, viewforum.php are I think all of them
Edit: Of course, the admin sections check it too, so adding a g_moderator column to the groups table might not hurt

Smartys: Believe if or not, but I've written a "note to self" on my desktop to investigate exactly that smile All the moderator permission checks would of course be rewritten, but that shouldn't be all that hard.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hurray! big_smile
Is it a sticky note? tongue

From IRC:

<Smartys> Rickard: is it a sticky note? tongue
<rickard> Well smile
<rickard> It's called todo.txt.
<rickard> In the PunBB folder on my desktop.
<Smartys> aww

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thanks for the info, and for looking into this.

Yes, I was very disappointed tongue)

Rickard: what you should do is write them on actual sticky notes then stick them round your moniter, then you'll have to fix them when you can't see who to shoot on GTA tongue

Connorhd: Shhhh! smile