Topic: Support for Firebird SQL

Hi,

I was after a forum that supports Firebird SQL so as I can integrate with my website.  I was told that PunBB had support for this, however, I have not been able to find it.  Is this a planned feature for future versions or is there a mod by a 3rd party that supports Firebird.

rgds

Si

Re: Support for Firebird SQL

i dunno anything about Firebird SQL but you might be able to add support though the db classes, i've never seen anyone else want to use it or request it though

Thanks for the quick response, I would love to add support but my PHP knowledge is very flaky smile

rgds

Si

Adding support for Firebird is something I have thought about before. It all depends on whether it has LIMIT/OFFSET support. If it doesn't, it's a LOT trickier.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Not sure what LIMIT/OFFSET is, if its to return a subset of records then you can use

SELECT FIRST n SKIP n blah blah

Otherwise let me know and I will find an equivalent.  I would be more than happy to convert the database for you as well

rgds

Si

That is exactly what I meant. Because it's a different syntax than that of MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite, there will need to be some tricks involved, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

7 (edited by keldar 2005-04-04 14:59)

If your interested I have converted the database to Firebird (1.5 Dialect 3), there are a couple of changes you need to know about:

~ message is a reserved word so have changed all column names from message to msg
~ TEXT is not a valid FB datatype, have changed to VARCHAR (nnn) took best guess at size.  This could have been a BLOB (sub_type TEXT).
~ Where date has been added I have changed data type to TIMESTAMP and default (where applicable) to 'NOW'
~ have re-added all index's and added triggers for Generators (AUTOINCREMENT)
~ Have added Foreign keys
~ Prefix for all objects (Tables, Generators, Index's, Triggers etc) have been set to PUNBB_

The script can be downloaded from http://www.tectsoft.net/download/punbb_fb.zip

rgds

Cool smile

keldar wrote:

~ message is a reserved word so have changed all column names from message to msg

Hmm, that I don't like. I was hoping it would be possible to do this without affecting the already existing database support. Bummer.

keldar wrote:

~ TEXT is not a valid FB datatype, have changed to VARCHAR (nnn) took best guess at size.  This could have been a BLOB (sub_type TEXT).

OK. That's no problem.

keldar wrote:

~ Where date has been added I have changed data type to TIMESTAMP and default (where applicable) to 'NOW'

But isn't a timestamp updated whenever you update the row?

keldar wrote:

~ have re-added all index's and added triggers for Generators (AUTOINCREMENT)

OK, cool.

keldar wrote:

Not really needed, but still cool.

keldar wrote:

~ Prefix for all objects (Tables, Generators, Index's, Triggers etc) have been set to PUNBB_

Why not use the prefix that is used for tables?

Rickard wrote:
keldar wrote:

Hmm, that I don't like. I was hoping it would be possible to do this without affecting the already existing database support. Bummer.

You can get around this by adding dbl quotes to the column when defining, however it is then case sensitive and the case must be preserved in all selects, updates etc.

Rickard wrote:
keldar wrote:

No, its just a datatype, it *could* be updated easily via the triggers if needed.

Rickard wrote:
keldar wrote:

Not really needed, but still cool.

This is done at the very end of the script, if its not necessary it can be easily omitted

Rickard wrote:
keldar wrote:

Why not use the prefix that is used for tables?

I used that prefix when I created a db, you should be able to do a search/replace on PUNBB_ and all will be ok smile

I posted a duff script last time (sorry) the real one can be obtained from http://www.tectsoft.net/download/punbb.firebird.zip

rgds

keldar wrote:

You can get around this by adding dbl quotes to the column when defining, however it is then case sensitive and the case must be preserved in all selects, updates etc.

Case sensitivity is no problem. The fact that it uses doublequotes to escape field names is. I'm not sure MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite will buy that.

keldar wrote:
Rickard wrote:

No, its just a datatype, it *could* be updated easily via the triggers if needed.

Ah, ok. I'm used to the TIMESTAMP datatype being automatically set on UPDATEs and INSERTs. Just goes to show how large the differences between different SQL implementations are.

12 (edited by zaher 2005-04-23 22:16)

You can create DOMIAN in firebired as TEXT

More conflicts

- unbuffered_query not found
- you cant seek result as in mysql or sqllite or pgsql
- rows effected for "select" query not supported in firebird 1.5
- getting insert_id not found becuase there is no AUTO_INCREMENT field type in firebird we generate it before inserting a row by user firebird gen_id function (long story) pgsql has sequence number for each table retrive it by table name is easy but this idea not work because you can use one sequence (generator) for more than one, there is open request for retrive an insert_id when inserting but in firebird 2.0, not released yet.

I stoped here.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

zaher wrote:

You can create DOMIAN in firebired as TEXT

More conflicts

- unbuffered_query not found
- you cant seek result as in mysql or sqllite or pgsql
- rows effected for "select" query not supported in firebird 1.5
- getting insert_id not found becuase there is no AUTO_INCREMENT field type in firebird we generate it before inserting a row by user firebird gen_id function (long story) pgsql has sequence number for each table retrive it by table name is easy but this idea not work because you can use one sequence (generator) for more than one, there is open request for retrive an insert_id when inserting but in firebird 2.0, not released yet.

I stoped here.

It might be worth asking some of these question on the FB-PHP list http://groups.yahoo.com/group/firebird-php

The autoinc is easily replicated, you can either grab the id using something like the following

SELECT GEN_ID(GeneratorName, 1) FROM RDB$DATABASE;

Or more typically use a stored procedure where you pass the input data in and it returns the id thats been generated.

rgds

Si

14 (edited by zaher 2005-04-27 23:47)

I know, i used in my projects.

SELECT GEN_ID(GeneratorName, 1) FROM RDB$DATABASE;

That mean we must use it in the first query to get a new id (for "post" by example) and then pass it to another query for INSERT a new record, two of queries VS one of it in mysql or sqllite.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d … up_id=9028

15 (edited by zaher 2005-04-28 00:06)

keldar, In fact i have tried to make a new dblayer for punbb to supprt Firebird by replaceing sqlite layer because it more compatiple metadata, but i stucked with Firebird/Interbase not suppered with same function as like (mysql, pg, sqlite), for that i gived up (bad english big_smile) and waiting a miracle from firebird developers smile.

This is where stored procedures come in to play, I am more than willing to help (on the FB side) if you want.

17 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-15 14:22)

Maybe Firebird SQL support could be added in PunBB 1.3?

Where ?

If punbb does not have support for firebird soon I will have finished a new firebird based forum.  I would however prefer to have punbb support FB, but...

WHen makeing a new topic PunBB make INSERT then get the id of topic for INSERT the post messge, in FB we must take the ID then make the 2 INSERTs that mean we must change the code not DBLayer.

zaher wrote:

WHen makeing a new topic PunBB make INSERT then get the id of topic for INSERT the post messge, in FB we must take the ID then make the 2 INSERTs that mean we must change the code not DBLayer.

Stored procedures, will solve this problem straight off.

Is that mean stored procedure for every table?

zaher wrote:

Is that mean stored procedure for every table?

Not always, only if you have multiple updates where things like the ID is required for the next update

I was playing with Firebird/Interbase. I've made a punbb driver for it (alfa,alfa) but this DB is quite annoying. punBB in post table has "message" field and Firebird doesn't like such filed name etc. etc. I need to read some more docs and maybe then I'll manage to gef pun working tongue very big maybe smile

My site [PHP, Python, Linux]

Create new domian named as D_TEXT for (domain mean user field type)

CREATE DOMAIN D_TEXT AS BLOB SUB_TYPE TEXT;

define message field as D_TEXT