Topic: More than one base URL?

Hi all,

I was just wondering wether it is possible to somehow have perhaps two base URL's instead of just one, since for example my forum is accessible through two URL's (forum.mydomain.com and mydomain.com/forum). Is there a way to solve this, since both URL's are being used quite frequently.

Kind regards,

Nick

2 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-28 18:15)

Re: More than one base URL?

From http://punbb.org/docs/faq.html#faq2_8:

2.8 - Is it possible to have more than one "Base URL"?
No, it's not. However, there is extremely seldom a need to have more than one. The need often arises when you access your forums through one URL externally and one URL internally. The internal URL is often the IP address or the name of the computer that runs the webserver. The problem is easily solved by editing your hosts file. The hosts file contains a list of IP addresses and host names. If you haven't made any changes to it earlier, it unsually only contains the IP address 127.0.0.1 and the hostname localhost. If you enter http://localhost/ into your browsers adress field, your operating system will first check the hosts file to see if localhost can be found in there. If it finds it, it will navigate to the IP address 127.0.0.1 instead of trying to look up the host name localhost with traditional DNS. So, what you want to do is to add a line to this file with the IP address of the webserver and the hostname that you use to access your server externally. If the host name for your forums is www.mycoolforums.com and the IP address of the webserver is 192.168.100.15, you would add the line:

192.168.100.15      www.mycoolforums.com

The hosts file is located in different locations depending on what operating system you run. Here's a list of where the file can usually be found in a few operating systems:

? Windows 95/98/ME: c:\windows\hosts
? Windows NT/2000/XP: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
? Linux/UNIX: /etc/hosts

Once you've added the line to your hosts file, you can set your "Base URL" to www.mycoolforums.com and use that URL to access your forums externally as well as internally.

I should also add that there is no HOSTS file on Pocket PCs. (A similar effect can be done in the registry there.)