Topic: extern.php RSS output shows content of posts

See the subject. This is just for my Web site's news and possibly my blog.

If you are going to do some BBCode work, scratch out BBCode and make it HTML.

Re: extern.php RSS output shows content of posts

Whatcha talkin 'bout Willis?

Who's Willis?

old TV show, nevermind smile

Your first post made no sense to me? you had my attention with "extern.php RSS" then lost me with BBCode HTML?

I want extern.php to show the actual post instead of Last post, author, etc. I'm not using this particular extern.php on any real forums, just for my site news and my blog.

oh ok smile

You talking about...
type: RSS. Anything else means HTML output?

I've been looking into displaying rss items as pages too, I found a few things that weren't finished, last I looked.

I'll post back some info on that, when I find it again.

cheers

you just need to edit it a bit to show what you want, add it to the query and then echo it with the rest of the stuff?

Thanx connorhd,

I discovered a few cool things, playing around last night wink

I'm running the Nucleus/Pun mod & was wishing for round-trip comments/posts between Nuc & Pun on articles.
I think letting Pun handle the discussions is a better idea now & just echo the "Topic preview" from post.php under the article, w/the link to the forum topic.

I think I can figure it out from existing code, I won't hold it against ya, if you have the code off the top of your head though? big_smile
What to include outside of Pun, is what I'm fuzzy about?

cheers

I'm looking for something similar using extern.php.

Instead of an RSS feed, it would be nice to have another option in extern.php to show:
hcgtv ~ I'm looking for something similar using....

Basically the poster, and a certain # of characters of the post excluding any quoted text.

GregK, sorry i don't really know anything about the Nucleus-Pun thing i haven't looked at it, you'll have to work out the code yourself wink

no prob conorhd,
a few of your posts have helped me in the past, just from search results wink

Hey hcgtv smile
We traded a few posts on this subject, a few months back.

After coming back at this w/fresh eyeballs, I think simply having the post previews (newest first) under the article w/the forum link, would be a superior solution!
From a usability standpoint & you'd avoid all the spam/bot/troll problems that come with a comment form.

What do you think?

Greg,

What I was looking for is a replacement for the Latest Comments plugin that we use in Nucleus, I use it on my sidebar menu.

I haven't given thought to what I plan on doing in the item section now I've turned off commenting.

13 (edited by GregK 2005-06-29 19:13)

ah ok, I'm not using that Nucleus plugin. I do have commenting turned off too though.
I am running the Nucleus RSS/Atom Aggregator though, for pulling RSS feeds as link lists.

I've been trying to stick w/Pun data. (extern.php & the .rss.php mod files)

Time to dive into some code here & see what kind of errors I can create smile

Edit: just wanted to add...
from a SEO standpoint, having the post preview (newest first) under articles, would keep those pages fresh for the SEs too. BIG added benefit there! wink