Topic: "Previous Topic", "Next Topic" feature

Hi,

I would like to have a feature on my forum that allows me to include a link to the "Previous Topic" and "Next Topic" in a Forum, or "Previous Forum" and "Next Forum" in viewforum.php too.

Regards,
Seun Osewa

Re: "Previous Topic", "Next Topic" feature

Oooo....
That would be nice.

Except it might get screwed up in forums that have different ways of displaying topics? (date last posted, date first posted, etc.)

Maybe links that say "Next New Topic" and "Older Topic", and still keep the "Previous Forum"/"Next Forum" links.

The problem is that there is nowhere to put it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Couldn't it be below "Post Reply" in topic view, but above the message number?

well it should be above post reply at the top since post reply is attached to the topic, and that is the change topic

I think we have had this discussion before. The most practical way to make room is to put the breadcrumbs on the row above/below.

Ahhh...Yes.
That sounds good.

i think before people have asked for next and last page not next and last topic in the past

I'm not at all fond of the idea of breaking the paging links/breadcrumbs/post reply line into two lines at the top. It's not a problem at the bottom though (it's already two lines).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

since its next/previous thread maybe you could put it below the quick reply its out of the way there

If putting it at the bottom of the page is not a problem, it could go beneath "Post reply" at the bottom.

12 (edited by Jérémie 2005-03-09 20:44)

seunosewa wrote:

I would like to have a feature on my forum that allows me to include a link to the "Previous Topic" and "Next Topic" in a Forum, or "Previous Forum" and "Next Forum" in viewforum.php too.

People actually use this one ????

Rcikard, if you include this, pleeeeeease make an option to disable it.

seunosewa wrote:

Hi,

I would like to have a feature on my forum that allows me to include a link to the "Previous Topic" and "Next Topic" in a Forum

As Seunosewa, i would be glad if this feature could be added. Additionally, it would be even greater if these links could contain the name of the previous and next topics.

Thanks,
habana

one problem i see with this is what is the next topic? in the context of a search it is different to the next topic browsing through a forum

Connorhd wrote:

one problem i see with this is what is the next topic? in the context of a search it is different to the next topic browsing through a forum

I imagine it as <older topic | newer topic> on top, just under the title of the actual topic (or not far).
It gives a nice way for visitors to surf and seems to be greatly appreciated by web search engines as Google and others.

that doesn't answer what i said at all, what if you press view posts since last visit, click on the first topic, then click next? will it take you to the next new topic or the next topic in that forum?

17 (edited by habana 2005-07-04 19:01)

Connorhd wrote:

what if you [...]click on the first topic, then click next?

to the second topic of this forum.

Connorhd wrote:

will it take you to the next new topic or the next topic in that forum?

It should send to the next topic into the forum you are (so subjects can easily have interest for visitors) .

but thats confusing since if i just clicked on a topic in the new topics list i would expect next topic to be the next new topic

Connorhd wrote:

but thats confusing since if i just clicked on a topic in the new topics list i would expect next topic to be the next new topic

I don't find it confusing. It's just another way to crawl the forum, not related to next new topic, just to next topic as "topic + 1 and topic -1".

Does anybody actually view forums like that. I find it much easier to go back to the list of forums either the full list or new topics list and pick out the ones I am interested in. That of course doesn't apply here where as a mod I have to read everything wink

21 (edited by habana 2005-07-04 23:18)

Anyway, i could manage to survive without this feature big_smile
It's been asked and i noticed it was often used by visitors.