Topic: PunBB Mailing List

Is there a mailing list I can subscribe to to get notified of new PunBB versions and security updates?

Re: PunBB Mailing List

if you use Thunderbird or anything else with rss support you could add http://punbb.org/forums/extern.php?acti … amp;fid=48 as a feed

is this the service available in Thunderbird or Punbb..

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

4 (edited by zaher 2005-06-02 23:29)

in Thunderbird read the Feed from PunBB.org

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Avenger 2.0 wrote:

Is there a mailing list I can subscribe to to get notified of new PunBB versions and security updates?

Using the rss feed can be a good solution.

BUT, I think a mailing list would be great.

I can imagine it using the plugin 'broadcoast email'. This plugin should just be modified in order to send mails by packets (for exemple 50 mails by minute or something like that). It would avoid time out.

Then, I think in 'profile' we should have the choice to subscribe or not the punbb list.

This is the simplest solution I see.

What do you think about that?

I'm agree : and see too : send to particular groups (by default : all, but with groups, too)

Or it could be a new feature in 1.3: "Subscribe to forum", just like subscribing to a topic you will get a mail each time a new topic is posted in the subscribed forums.
That way you could just subscribe to the "PunBB.org News" forum and get a mail when a new version is released.
I know Rickard is always looking for new features to implement :-)

CodeDuck wrote:

Or it could be a new feature in 1.3: "Subscribe to forum", just like subscribing to a topic you will get a mail each time a new topic is posted in the subscribed forums.
That way you could just subscribe to the "PunBB.org News" forum and get a mail when a new version is released.
I know Rickard is always looking for new features to implement :-)

In my opinion, this could not be as you're saying in 1.3. It seems quite bloat. I mean, sending an e-mail to all forum users from time to time (mailing list) is not the same thing as what you're asking for. The ability for subscribing to the whole forum could be very dangerous for server load. Php is not really done for sending hundreds of e-mails...
What you want could be a mod.

It's just MY opinion. I do not compell anybody to agree with me...

Ludo,

I fear that people might do that and then forget about it. The result would be that over time, a huge number of e-mails would have to be sent out whenever a new topic was created.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I'm using the rss.php file that has had some nice mods lately by Alex King and Daniel Jalkut.

This works great and has options to filter down to specific categories, forums and topics.

RSS is the future, e-mails are so 1990's smile

I have never understood how works RSS ... too dumb.

But I was against CMS, until I "meet" hcgtv ... all changes smile

While my subscribtion idea wasn't a serious suggestion for a feature (I've known Rickard for years and know his bloatfobia very well). I actually think that a good way of getting release news the PunBB users (as in admins, not end users) would be making a mail-subscription to the "PunBB.org News" forum available. The flow and the nunber off potential users is small enough to make it realistic.
On the topic of RSS, it is a great technology, I use myself - but not all PunBB admins are there yet and getting news about new releases and patches to expliots out to the forum-admins would be beneficial to all.

Still i dont know what RSS is for... sad

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily