Topic: upgrading to 1.2.6

well i have a few mods installed on my forum.
is there a way to automaticly update to 1.2.6 and keep my mods installed so i dont have to re-do them?

Re: upgrading to 1.2.6

hcgtv wrote:

For updating software, when you've made mods, I recommend:

Windows: Beyond Compare
Linux: Krusader file manager, Kompare

try with this ...

it's just me...

You must  "re-do them" every time like us sad

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

I upgraded my forums manually (had 4-5 mods, Attachment mod, Image Awards, Easy BBCode and some other small ones) ... and it worked fine, just that the Attachment mod gets affected alittle by the Changeset 172, that's now included in 1.2.6 .... other than that I think it was just some rownumbers that was different (and that I already had added some changesets since 1.2.5...

So with the hdiff it's not that hard, it was a bunch of files, but didn't take that long to upgrade ... (I like the hdiff upgrade method ... as I'm in control, not some script big_smile)

and if you've done backups ... you're always able to go back if something gets borked off totally ...

Frank H wrote:

So with the hdiff it's not that hard, it was a bunch of files, but didn't take that long to upgrade ... (I like the hdiff upgrade method ... as I'm in control, not some script big_smile)

this is how i was going to upgrade, but checking to see if there was an eayer way first smile

The easiest way to upgrade when you have mods installed is to use the patch file. Instructions are available on the downloads page.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I have hardly modified version of PunBB with a lot of changes, so "hdiff" does the trick.

8 (edited by Mark 2005-07-09 15:35)

it says Download the appropriate file and place it in the parent directory of your
PunBB root directory...
does that mean like download, just for example, admin_options.php?
and will that keep the mods installed even in the patch file it is doing?

No, you just download the patch file (e.g. http://punbb.org/download/patch/punbb-1 … .2.6.patch) and place it in the parent directory of your forums and run the patch command (see the instructions). The patch command will then look at the patch file and make the changes for you.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

i log into my shell and type
patch -ul -d /home/acidwebh/public_html/forum -p2 < punbb-1.2.5_to_1.2.6.txt
but it says "No such file or directory"
any clues please?

.txt? It's .patch

changed to .patch
still says same thing hmm

Try this. Change directory to /home/acidweb/public_html and place the patch in that directory. Then run:

patch -ul -d forum -p2 < punbb-1.2.5_to_1.2.6.patch

Make sure punbb-1.2.5_to_1.2.6.patch is in the public_html directory.