1 (edited by ShawnBrown 2005-07-17 07:35)

Topic: Help with Mac browser testing

Hello... it's been a while since I've posted.

I'm working on a JavaScript to embed a remotely hosted lookup service with a simple script tag.

I don't have access to a Mac but I don't want to neglect Mac users. Could someone with a Mac (and ~90 seconds to spare) check out my test pages using IE for Mac and/or Safari/Konqueror?

If you can, try to load resources "1" and "2" on each of the following pages and let me know how the script behaves:
Remotely Hosted [link removed]
Locally Hosted [link removed]

I would greatly appreciate any help with this!

(For the test, the "resources" are simply text strings.)

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.

Re: Help with Mac browser testing

Running on a Debian Sarge system:

Firefox 1.0.4:
Remote: Works fine
Local: Works fine

Konqueror 3.3.2:
Remote: Doesn't work

On MacOS 10.4.1

Firefox 1.0.4:

IE 5.2.3:

Safari 2.0 (412):
Remote: Doesn't work- no errors, no real screen change

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

Excellent! hcgtv, middleground: thanks for the browser test!

Bert's (hcgtv's) Debian test has inspired me to get a copy of Knoppix. I'm using Konqueror on Knoppix to post this message.

Hopefully I'll be able to test with this setup and fix the problem for both Linux/Konqueror and Mac/Safari users--since Safari is based on Konqueror, and it looks like you've both reported the same problem (middleground here in the forum and hcgtv via email).

Other windows users: If you're looking for a low-hassle way to test for Safari/Konqueror, you might want to have a look at Knoppix. You download an .iso image (for free of course) and burn it onto a CD-ROM. The CD is a bootable install of Linux with KDE and other goodies ready to go. It automatically mounts your existing drives and doesn't muck with your Windows setup. It seems to be working great--after I figured out how to make it use my antiquated network adapter.

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

Another happy Debian user smile

Testing under Linux, I was able to fix the problem for both Konqueror and Safari. I received Mac/Safari confirmation from middleground this morning (thanks!).

The sticking point was Safari/Konqueror's handling of XMLHttpRequests that violate the same origin security policy.

If anyone is interested in the details, I've documented these cross-browser differences on SourceForge's wiki (see Same Origin Violation Behaviour).