1 (edited by ghotistix 2005-08-08 00:39)

Topic: Patching

Hello. Forgive me if this is a stupid question with a glaringly obvious solution: I'm only just beginning to learn PHP and MySQL.

My issue is that I need to patch my forum from 1.2.5 to 1.2.6, but I don't have shell access to run the patch. The obvious answer is to edit all the files by hand from the changelog, but from the number of changes, it would take eons. And I especially don't want to have to do it every time a new version of PunBB is released. I had the idea to upload all the .php files included in the upload folder of 1.2.6 to the forum directory on my site, since it seems to me that replacing only the PHP files won't hurt anything as I'm not directly messing with the forum's database. I just wanted to confirm that, by doing this, I wouldn't be ripping a hole in the space-time continuum or *gasp* wrecking my forum, and it would in fact be as good as running a patch. If not, I'll just have to start hacking away in notepad.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: by "all the .php files" I'd exclude config.php.

Re: Patching

If you modded the files, then you'd have issues with your mods not working
Other then that, editing should work fine (use the hdiff)

Smartys wrote:

If you modded the files, then you'd have issues with your mods not working
Other then that, editing should work fine (use the hdiff)

Thanks for the link, but I was really looking into whether I could replace the PHP files instead of editing them by hand.

Yes you can overwrite them. Easiest way to upgrade.

Then run the update file in the /extras folder.

Backup just in case.

The upgrade went flawlessly. Thanks.

An alternative would have been to download the scripts and patch them locally.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."