1 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-14 20:17)

Topic: Firefox Greasemonkey Extension

From its site on mozdev.org:

Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension which lets you to add bits of DHTML ("user scripts") to any web page to change its behavior. In much the same way that user CSS lets you take control of a web page's style, user scripts let you easily control any aspect of a web page's design or interaction.

For example, you could:

Make sure that all URLs displayed in the browser are clickable links
Improve the usability of a site you frequent
Route around common and annoying website bugs
Use the Coral content network selectively.

Anyone here who doesn't like it?

Re: Firefox Greasemonkey Extension

I hear good things about it, but I haven't tried it myself. I read somewhere about a plugin for Greasemonkey that allows you to "store" searches in gmail. So instead of using labels, you can search for e.g. a person and then save that search. Pretty cool.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-15 01:43)

What I mean is like Webmasters getting mad at Greasmonkey for, let's say, Terms of Use violations. But I guess Greasemonkey is good in ways.

can this thing be used to remove banners/advertisments from websites? even popup scripts? big_smile

-gezz

In theory, yes. It can be used to manipulate any web page in any way.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

There's another reason why Webmasters may not like it. Or anything else that removes ads. smile

It's great fun, I just made a script to hide punbb posts by a specified user. It's set by default to automatically ignore everything I say smile A real timesaver.

install me

Anyone who objects to Greasemonkey being used on their site needs to take time to consider the nature of the Internet.

Nibbler(cpg) wrote:

Anyone who objects to Greasemonkey being used on their site needs to take time to consider the nature of the Internet.

Yes, but....

While Greasemonkey can block ads, in most cases the Firefox extension Adblock or Adblock Plus is more efficient if ads are what you're concerned with.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.