1 (edited by mikepurvis 2005-08-31 18:58)

Topic: Forum visible but not viewable?

My experience with PunBB has so far been peppered with pleasant surprises. The amount of thought that's gone into its design is clear in every facet. However, there's one small piece of functionality from phpBB that's I'd like to reproduce, if possible, without hacking the source:

Can I make a forum show up in the index.php listing, but then have viewforum.php redirect to a page asking the user to login or register?

The forum_perms table as described here just contains "read_forum", "post_replies", and "post_topics." I'm happy with all of the forums marked false for "read_forum" to still exhibit the behaviour outlined above, but before I hack the source to pieces, I'd like to check if this is something the plugin interface could handle...

(Not yet familiar with the plugin architecture...)

Thanks.

EDIT: Here's the board in question: http://dev.tron09.com/forum/ (there's about ten forums in all, and I'd like all of them to show on the index listing)

Re: Forum visible but not viewable?

Not related to your question, but did you realise the forum is unusable on IE. The font-size needs adjusting. Because you are using a font size of 11px on body you need to delete the percentage font size which PunBB uses for IE.

Paul wrote:

Not related to your question, but did you realise the forum is unusable on IE. The font-size needs adjusting. Because you are using a font size of 11px on body you need to delete the percentage font size which PunBB uses for IE.

I'm aware that the whole thing is a mess on IE. I develop mostly using Zend on a Linux box. IE bug-zapping is a later stage in development... but thanks for pointing it out.

I'm glad you like it. To answer your question, it would not be possible with the plugin architecture. PunBB only support admin interface plugins, not plugins that affect the general functionality of the forum.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

The mod that I've outlined above is described in full here:

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=50778