Topic: I've even got that "noob" smell - basic questions (I searched :( )

OK, so after chatting with a friend running this gear for a local community, I decided to use it for the community on my website.

Now, I'm reasonably familiar with Internet and Computer related things, as my day job is as the SEO & Online Marketing Manager for a suite of 15 sports-related websites.  Basically, I've been working online for over 5 years now.

I can, and have, built my own sites, etc.

That said, I am NOT a designer, nor am I a programmer (first step is admitting it, right...?).  I am a marketer with a copy of Dreamweaver (everyone's worst nightmare, I'm sure...).

Given that most things today tend to be simple to implement, I tried installing the PunBB forum into my website last night, figuring I'm bright enough to follow written directions.

Color me mucho confused - here's what the doc says in my downloaded files:

Installation

~ Copy/upload all contents of the directory upload/ into the directory where you want to run your forums.
~ Run install.php from the forum root directory (e.g. open http://mydomain/myforums/install.php in your browser).

Follow the instructions.

Please report any problems you might encounter during installation in the PunBB.org Support Forums.

OK, when I try to run the install.php file in my browser window, I get a 404 error... sad

Clearly this is still beyond me at this point, as the directions above are uber-clear.

http://www.ajeepthing.com is the domain, I have a folder set up called /forum/ which houses all the files I downloaded.  I do have access to databases (MySQL) through my hosting company and the package I have, but again, new territory so I'm lost - and I don't even know if I need to access them for this application.

I do know I want to host the thing, though, as I sell advertising space on the site (or will be) and want to control that aspect in the forum as well.

Thanks for reading all this folks.  I did probably a dozen searches, but fear I don't even know enough to construct the proper search query to get my answers...LOL

I'd appreciate any help that can be offered. smile

Re: I've even got that "noob" smell - basic questions (I searched :( )

Aha, found the problem!
You uploaded your files to http://www.ajeepthing.com/forum/upload/
You were supposed to upload the CONTENTS of the upload folder to /forum

http://www.ajeepthing.com/forum/ Doesn't exist.

First create a database using your hosts control panel, note down the db name, user and password.

Then use your FTP program to create a /forum folder in your web space. Upload all the PunBB files that are inside the /upload folder to /forum.

Then run install.php and follow the instructions..

I just installed on my site without too many problems.  A 404 error means the file is not there, so you either did not upload all the files, uploaded them to the wrong directory, or you fat fingered the address.  Run your FTP software and look for install.php.

You will have to check with you service provider regarding database setup, but you need to set-up the database before running install.php

My service provider offered a tutorial (Tutorial Link) to show how to set-up this forum software. You can follow the steps, but download the current version 1.2.7  from punBB
smile

you fat fingered the address

- LMAO - good one, gotta remember that...

OK, thi is great gang - thanks much for the feedback.

I'll take "I put the wrong stuff in the wrong place for $100, Alex".

I'm going to try getting the content OF folders out into the open in the proper spots - THAT should make a difference...

Alright - got the setup done, set up the MySQL database, used the info, even made the "config.php" file - I followed the directions below:

To finalize the installation all you need to do is to copy and paste the text in the text box below into a file called config.php and then upload this file to the root directory of your PunBB installation. Make sure there are no linebreaks or spaces before <?php. You can later edit config.php if you reconfigure your setup (e.g. change the database password or ).

Since no application was stipulated in whihc to make this file, I used UltraEdit to create a text doc, named "config.php" - then uploaded that file to the /forum/ folder.

According to the instructions, I'm now good to go... but I see this error message:

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to write configuration cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'.

Obviously I've missed something along the way.

My hosting interface is showing the database as "Active" from "Pending", so that's up and running.  Could it be it does not like the.php  file I created?

Clearly making progress here - so I'm pretty happy with that, but again with the brick wall... *rubs noodle*

Not sure if this is related or not - do I need to take the contents of the "docs" and "extras" folders out and place them in the forum-root as well?

You need to ftp to the forum/cache directory and give it write permissions. I think you chmod it to 666.

Love to, but I'm told, via "properties", that "this server does not support changing file permissions".

I'm on the phone with Godaddy right now, so maybe they can make this change for me.

...and so ends my brief flirtation with PunBB and .php forums... sad

My site is .asp, so I need to be on the Windows server I am currently hosted on.  I am told that I'd have to switch to a Linux server to support this forum, trouble is, the .asp pages won't work there.

This is what I get for being new to this end of things - a whole heap of wasted time.

I truly appreciate the time members here took to help me with my dilemma, and apologize for wasting your time on something which, it turns out, was "before even basic" in nature.

Maybe others new to this will read this thread and find some value in it.

PunBB doesn't require Linux. Plenty of people have had it running on Windows boxes, including me, some even using IIS. More likely its just a case of your host being paranoid and not wanting to allow write access for security reasons.

My site is .asp, so I need to be on the Windows server I am currently hosted on.  I am told that I'd have to switch to a Linux server to support this forum, trouble is, the .asp pages won't work there.

complete lies, like paul said php works fine on windows, and your site MUST have php support otherwise the install file would not show at all

I'm running a development system on my WinXP laptop.

You can install each service by hand, Apache, MySQL and PHP or go with a ready made solution.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

See, this was kinda my thinking, especially since, according to my billing, my account has .php support.

So, I did receive crap service today...hmmm, I guess it's time to call back again and rattle a cage or two. sad  I hate having to do things like this - worse, I hate having my time wasted for no good reason.

Thanks guys - might just pull this one off yet. smile

Just picked this up on another site

"Log into your godaddy account, choose your domain from the hosting list and click 'settings'. On the control panel for that domain there is a link under 'other settings' on the right hand side. Click 'custom directory permissions'"

I don't know whether that is just for their Linux servers or whether it applies to the Windows servers as well but worth a look.

sportsguy wrote:

I am a marketer with a copy of Dreamweaver (everyone's worst nightmare, I'm sure...).

No, that would be an advertising exec with a copy of Frontpage.

sounds hopeful smile

16 (edited by sportsguy 2005-09-21 19:18)

OK, I'm in a pickle here.

In my haste/anger, I decided to completely uninstall everything and delete my afore-created database.  No biggie to this point.

I've reinstalled everything, but now I'm getting the error during the setup process saying "unable to fetch forum config".  The darn config.php file is right there in the forum root - /forum/config.php

Paul - I found that spot in the settings - never saw it before, but I added "cache" to the directory list and selected "write" permissions - we'll see if that works it out.  Thanks for finding that tidbit. smile

Could my current error be caused by this:

The file I created this morning, for the original database included the following info "$cookie_seed = '229572d9';"

I used the SAME config.php file again this afternoon for the NEW database I created, though I switched up the database name, username & password portions of the original file for the updated info from my new database (hope that makes sense - I just edited the code).

BUT, the "$cookie_seed = '229572d9';" is identical, naturally, because I simply edited the original file...and now I have no clue where to find that little tidbit of data, or if it even matters...

Better yet, how, again, do I create a new config.php file?  I can't recall how the heck I got this code earlier today...

The cookie seed should be fine as it is
What you should do is edit include/common.php and enable debug mode and paste the full error here so we can tell you what the exact problem with your database is

Smartys wrote:

The cookie seed should be fine as it is
What you should do is edit include/common.php and enable debug mode and paste the full error here so we can tell you what the exact problem with your database is

OK, I'm game to give it a try, but I 'm not completely sure what you just said.  A programmer I am not... sad

I edited the common.php file (the instructions conveniently written in the code said to remove the // to set debug mode - done and the file is updated.

Thanks again for the help.

OK, I enabled debug mode, saw more of the rror, then, again, had the swift thinking of an a$$ and removed everything from the folder - deleted it all.

Spent most of last night trying to get the upload of the files completed again - that's done.  Couldn't, fo rth elife of me, get on these boards or this site last night either. sad

Now, after editing the "config.php" file and adding a ">" which I thought was missing (there was an opening "<", but no closing ">" in the code I have in the config.php file), I now get no error, but nothing loads, either - just a blank screen and FF telling me it's done loading... sad

I honestly thought this would be much simpler to install...

Oh, can anyone share a copy of the code for the config.php file?  I want to check and see if during my frigging around maybe I deleted something I shouldn't have in that code... sad

http://dev.punbb.org/file/trunk/extras/ … config.php

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Get rid of the closing ">" you added.

22 (edited by sportsguy 2005-09-22 12:39)

Thanks you very much.

Looks like I've made some progress.

I took everything back to clean again, installed the latest version, and am now back to my original error:

An error was encountered
File: d:\winhostssl01\hosting\accountname\forum\include\cache.php
Line: 91

PunBB reported: Unable to write configuration cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'

One item I noted in the above error - where I have place "accountname" in the string - the name in this spot does not match that of the database - does this matter?

I have checked the "Other Setting" in my hosting account and have set the directory access to "Enable Write" on the following combos:

cache
include\chache
forum\include\cache

None of those worked for me... sad  Same error after the changes took effect.

I then allowed "write" permissions to the following:

forum\include\cache.php

...and the error went away. smile

To be replaced by a blank screen

http://ajeepthing.com/forum/index.php

Nada.  Page source confirms there is nothing there [ <html><body></body></html> ] ...

This is baffling, as there is an index file IN the cache folder - it too, has no code in it...well, it has the following:

<html>
<head>
<title>.</title>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

But, really, it's nothing.

I guess, now, I need to find the ACTUAL index file that's supposed to reside in the cache folder - any thoughts?

...at least the database seems to all be there now - I have 17 tables in the database for the forum.  Not sure if that's what it should be, but it all LOOKS to be in order.

23 (edited by Smartys 2005-09-22 12:42)

That IS the actual index file that's supposed to be there tongue
I think someone needs to make a mod to disable cache tongue

Edit: Does what other files are in the cache folder?

Smartys wrote:

That IS the actual index file that's supposed to be there tongue
I think someone needs to make a mod to disable cache tongue

Edit: Does what other files are in the cache folder?

Here's what I currently have inside the cache folder:

index.html
.htaccess

That's it...

25 (edited by Smartys 2005-09-22 13:27)

OK, then it isn't writing the cache config file
I'll see what I can do in terms of a quick fix smile

Edit: I can't find one, the cache is too well integrated tongue
I mean, it can be done, but it involves changing lines in a bunch of files, and I would want to test it first tongue