Topic: FTP Software?

You all helped me find a text editor... Thanks! Now I need help with a FTP client. What is your favorite FREE FTP Program.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: FTP Software?

I think Crimson Editor has a built-in ftp client.

However, FileZilla is my favourite ftp program.

(I assume you are using Windows)

I am using Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2...

What editor did you finally decide on?

FileZilla is my personal favorite for free ftp clients.

Smart FTP

I second the Crimson Editor/Filezilla recommendation. (If you picked Notepad2, that's not a bad one either).

P.S.: New punBB user here -- thanks for the software, I looked into about half a dozen free forums before choosing, and I'm mightily impressed. We're nearly ready to go live.

7 (edited by StevenBullen 2005-10-21 14:34)

Gizzmo wrote:

Smart FTP

I am with Gizzmo on this one. Smart FTP all the way... I use it for the edit feature which is pretty darn good.

Occasionaly I will use Macromedia in built FTP... but not that often....

I use SmartFTP, you might like this http://www.bcuc.ac.uk/main.asp?page=2117 lets you map FTP as a drive on your PC, and infact now i have my own server i use SCP all the time, its great, lets you do cool things like upload/download at the same time and even do multiple files at once (which for alot of files seems to be pretty good speedwise) also lets you move around the remote server while uploading, which i love as i always seem to be doing 3 things at once.

Connorhd wrote:

you might like this http://www.bcuc.ac.uk/main.asp?page=2117 lets you map FTP as a drive on your PC

A few of these about... will check it out over the weekend. wink

Connorhd wrote:

as i always seem to be doing 3 things at once.

Me and you both mate... The benefits of 2 large screens and one desktop... smile

Does FileZilla support SFTP?

StevenBullen wrote:

The benefits of 2 large screens and one desktop... smile

I wish lol, my dream is 2 17" TFTs at 1280x1024 /me drools tongue atm all i have is a 16.4" CRT at 1280x960

snapsolutions wrote:

Yes: http://ca.huji.ac.il/services/internet/ … illa.shtml

But the ftp server has to be configured to accept it.

I use FlashFXP. It's not free, but its worth every penny.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Connorhd wrote:
StevenBullen wrote:

The benefits of 2 large screens and one desktop... smile

I wish lol, my dream is 2 17" TFTs at 1280x1024 /me drools tongue atm all i have is a 16.4" CRT at 1280x960

lol... ok I have 2 x 21" (No TFT here... these things are huge... lol...) running at 1600x1200... I cant run anything less now. Having dreamweaver, textpad x 3, smartftp x 2, photopshop and occasionaly flash sitting in the background somewhere... I need the high res...

my dream would be the machine out of Swordfish... 8 screens... oh yeah... and some silly connection. lol

hcgtv wrote:
snapsolutions wrote:

Yes: http://ca.huji.ac.il/services/internet/ … illa.shtml

Thanks, I'll try it.

But the ftp server has to be configured to accept it.

Yes, I know.

Btw I use SecureFX from VanDyke.

Hi, I use WinSCP, and like it alot.

Rickard wrote:

I use FlashFXP. It's not free, but its worth every penny.

I'm with Rickard on this one. FlashFXP is by far the best FTP client you'll find. I use a combination of that, and WinSCP3.

FlashFXP is free if you know where to look which is why adding free when asking for software...is usually silly. You kids that silly pay for your stuff, tsk wink

I enjoy pie :)

Mediator, yes you are right, everything can be had for free these days.

But it gets to be a hastle when a new version is introduced and forget about getting support. So it's best to stick with Open Source tools since they will always be free, no matter what. I'd rather donate to an Open Source project than pay for something that I'll need to keep paying for every time a new version comes out.

Oh I am all for donating, and opensource is <3...just pointing out another option

I enjoy pie :)

21 (edited by j2k4b 2005-10-22 20:06)

Thanks for all the great software. I have enjoyed downloading and trying them out. Most of them are more complex then I need. I like fileZilla but it locks up on my computer. I was surfing the internet and found a good lite one. Check it out.

i.FTP by MemeCode

Thanks again for all your help.