Topic: ATTN: A sudden PHP / cache / write access problem

Error: Unable to write configuration cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'.

As you can tell, this is a fairly significant error. I can't make any major changes to my forum because of it. And the worst part of all is that I have no idea how it happened. This error has occurred within every section of the Administration area.

The most obvious assumption made from the error is that the CHMODDing of the 'cache' directory is incorrect. However, it is safely sitting at 644, which means that it shouldn't be a problem.

The only files I've affected recently are the avatars (I've moved them around a little etc), and the admin.tpl file. I've even restored the old admin.tpl file (not that I thought it would help at all), and it didn't do a thing.

Is there something I've potentially overlooked here that could have a bearing on what's going wrong? It's not just an administation pane thing, because it's recently (this has all happened within the last few hours) stopped image uploads being possible through the gallery mod.

Thanks for the help, in advance.

Re: ATTN: A sudden PHP / cache / write access problem

Note - I've CHMODded all of the cache files to 777 for the time being, but obviously I wouldn't want this as a longterm solution (they're meant to be CHMODded to 755)

Re: ATTN: A sudden PHP / cache / write access problem

Well, 644 should suffice, but only if the user that runs your webserver is also the owner of the folder and the files in the folder. Try removing the file called config something in the cache directory.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."