Topic: Banning System

Can someone please tell me how this banning system works?

I had a user, banned the email and username then deleted the account. Few months later they signed back up with the same username and all was well. It's like the ban didn't even exist. Does there need to be an account there in order for the ban to work? If so, how can I ban people from registering withthe username of Admin, Mod, or w/e?

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

Re: Banning System

register them usernames yourself smile
when you banned the account and email, did you ban the ip aswell?
if you ban the ip they shouldnt be able to get back on.

Hmm. If the username is banned, it shouldn't be possible to signup with that username again.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

yeah , I always Ban user follow the IP Adreass

Yours, Benny.

I don't ban IP's.

Ok looked into it again. I made an account by the name of Administrator, got my confirmation e-mail and whatnot. Log in and it says I'm banned. Is there any way to prevent them from making the account in the first place?

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

then they would just make a different username, is it not better that they are allowed to create it but are then banned?

Yeah I don't know. I just thought by the meaning of a banning system, it would be put into use during user registration.

it is put in use, they are banned when they register. the cookie bans them, and if they are too stupid to delete it then it is more effective than an IP ban.

No no, I mean prevent the new account from being created at all. Like you enter in all your information, click the submit button and it says "I'm sorry, that username is not available."

Well, no username that is already taken will be available.
So the easiest way is to create dummy users for all names that you don't want people to take.

The trick is basically if you ban users you don't delete their accounts.
You do one of those two but not both.
It makes always more sense to keep the user account anyway so they cannot re-register with that same name (see above)
And since you banned them they cannot log in as well.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Mako wrote:

No no, I mean prevent the new account from being created at all. Like you enter in all your information, click the submit button and it says "I'm sorry, that username is not available."

I know what you mean, but that is nothing to do with bans. If the username is banned then the person registering it should be banned.

Fair enough. Thanks for the help.