Topic: About RANKINGS

Hello!
My question is about the ranking part of the forum!
Is it possible to add images instead of just plaint text?

i.e. 60 posts gives u 1 star (out of five)
    100 posts gives u 2 stars (out of five) and so on!

that would be great!

Thanx in advance!

//manne

ps. great forum by the way! recommended for everyone!

Re: About RANKINGS

That would have to be in the form of a mod. Anyone?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hmm, no one seems to know about this!
sad

Kennel wrote:

That would have to be in the form of a mod. Anyone?

I had a go at this. I put a test board up at http://www.post21.co.uk/forum
Excuse the rubbish graphics, they were for test purposes only. I must admit, not knowing any php did make it a little difficult smile

i think you should make it an option to use oen image that would say like "admin" or "mod"

Well, the example ps21 did is just EXACTLY what i am looking for!!
(i assume u got my "more detailed" mail, lol)

How do i incorporate these images in the rankings?

mannesan wrote:

Well, the example ps21 did is just EXACTLY what i am looking for!!
(i assume u got my "more detailed" mail, lol)

How do i incorporate these images in the rankings?

I still have a little work to do on it. I will email you with instructions as soon as it is completely finished. You should replace my test graphics with your own though if you want to it look good.

You should replace my test graphics with your own though if you want to it look good.

Why? my idea was to have little stars, but if u look closely, your test pics, look almost like a star...almost... lol

*kidding m8*

Sure, no problemo!
Ill wait patiently! smile

fly wrote:

i think you should make it an option to use oen image that would say like "admin" or "mod"

Good idea. It could have something like a silver bar for mods and a gold bar for admins. It doesn't actually have any options at all apart from adapting itself to the number of ranks or the users own images. I wanted to avoid altering any of the admin php files. I suppose I could change it so it will look for a special graphic file for admins and mods and default to my method if it can't find one.

And due to IE we won't be able to use stars, but squares. Fuck you IE and your useless PNG support.

-

Can't you have a black outline on the stars?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

12 (edited by ps21 2003-09-18 15:57)

Piggymon wrote:

And due to IE we won't be able to use stars, but squares. Fuck you IE and your useless PNG support.

So use GIF or JPG.

BTW. I just realised this could be done without using graphics at all which would be more in keeping with the design ethos of PunBB. No stars of course.

Just tidied it up a bit. And before you ask mannesan, yes I can do the stars in yellow.

I don't claim credit for the graphics, I used that well know web designing technique known as surf 'n' steal.

This looks like it could be a nice mod :)

One thing. I think there's just a little too much whitespace between the stars. Am I right?

Kennel wrote:

One thing. I think there's just a little too much whitespace between the stars. Am I right?

The space between the stars is not set in the code. There is no spacing in the code at all. The spacing is in the graphic. In this case it is a 12px star positioned at the bottom left of a 15px transparent background. I have done it this way so users can just do their own graphics to suit. I have now modified the graphic so it is a 12px star on a 12px wide backround. You are right, it does look better.

Wow, everything looks nicer, with the stars!
Its easier to keep track of who is active and who's not!
Nice work ps21, really nice!

Is it complicated? it doesent seem to mess up the tabels or anything like that!
I think 5 or 6 stars should do it! if i need higher rankings, the i just swap the original stars with lets say a "red" star!
And for the admin, maybe like a crown, or something!

I guess its not a problem since basically its just plain and simple images, so it could be a star or a crown, whatever, as long as its 12x12 pix!

17 (edited by ps21 2003-09-19 02:10)

mannesan wrote:

Wow, everything looks nicer, with the stars!
Its easier to keep track of who is active and who's not!
Nice work ps21, really nice!

Is it complicated? it doesent seem to mess up the tabels or anything like that!
I think 5 or 6 stars should do it! if i need higher rankings, the i just swap the original stars with lets say a "red" star!
And for the admin, maybe like a crown, or something!

I guess its not a problem since basically its just plain and simple images, so it could be a star or a crown, whatever, as long as its 12x12 pix!

Glad you like it.

Its fairly straightforward to set up. If you haven't edited your common.php or viewtopic.php files then I could just sent you the modified files. Let me know.

Adding extra ranks is not a problem. The way it works is to add an extra star for each rank. If you have 10 ranks you automatically get 10 stars. With admins and mods you get the choice of using a graphic which replaces the stars and the text label. If the graphic is not present on your system then mods get one star more than the highest rank and admins get two extra.

The maximum number of graphics files you need is 4. First is a bright star, second is a dull star, third and fourth are the graphics for admins and mods. You can of course use any image you like so long as the files are named correctly. You are not restricted to a 12x12 image. The images can be as large or as small as you like. If you have too many stars then they will simply wrap to a new line.

I have altered the test board so you can see the final version. Admin and Mod graphics come courtesy of IBPlanet.

P.S. I found some yellow stars if thats what you want.

P.P.S. Now all I have to do is wrap it up as a mod. Better download the mod GDK and submit it for testing.

P.P.P.S. Anybody want team icons and a way to set all this through Admin/Ranks?

If you haven't edited your common.php or viewtopic.php files then I could just sent you the modified files. Let me know.

Nah, I have left the forum as it is, since its pretty good as it is!
So if u want to send me the files, then they are more than welcome. smile

I took a peek at ure testforum, and it looks really really nice!
This is exactly what I have in mind, and you made it even better, since you added different images for moderator, admin, member!
Cant wait to test it out!

talk to ya later! smile

thats really good, this mod is awesome o.o

20 (edited by ps21 2003-09-23 02:10)

Finished, at least for testing purposes. Files and instructions here.
http://www.post21.co.uk/psfiles

Manne and others, I have included a pre-modified version of viewtopic.php if you don't want to bother with the editing yourself.

Sample graphics are included but the idea is that users will come up with their own undoubtedly superior offerings.

This is only being released for testing purposes. I will release it as a mod in the proper way shortly and post the announcement in the proper forum.

Kennel. My coding is somewhat primitive. If you have the time could you check that I haven't done anything silly. I have made it as modular as possible. There are only 11 lines of extra code in viewtopic.php everything else being done with file includes.

Improved version is currently in the planning stage which will allow options to be set through the Admin interface.

EDIT

Just to reassure everybody, this does not alter the database in any way and does not write to any files. As far as I can see the worst that could happen is you would have to re-upload viewtopic.php. If you have already made modifications to this file please be sure to back it up.

is there any way to amkie it so it does not remove custom member titles?

Man, im stunned!
The forum looks so much better with this!
The title dissapears tho, but this is a minor problem! It will sure be fixed somehow in the future!
For now, im freakin happy about showing some stars, lol! big_smile

23 (edited by ps21 2003-09-20 00:30)

mannesan wrote:

The title dissapears tho, but this is a minor problem! It will sure be fixed somehow in the future!

Which title dissapears? The only title that should dissapear is the title for mods and admins if you use a graphic. The idea is that the graphic replaces the title. Do you mean custom titles for mods and admins like fly mentioned. If so I can easily configure it so it will show custom titles for mods and admins but will not show the title if it just says "Administrator" or "Moderator"

What about a link to your board so I can take a look.

EDIT

Took the easy way out. Put the title back for all admins and mods. I will post as soon as I have uploaded the fix.

24 (edited by ps21 2003-09-20 02:21)

OK. Fixed it. Download the zip again. The only file you have to replace is ranking.php.

It is probably better this way anyway. Now you could have a graphic for mods and admins which didn't have any text in it, just a picture.

EDIT

I have now changed the graphics for admin and mod if you want to try the new ones. Having problems with the server at the moment, file is there but cannot download. I think they are upgrading.

fly wrote:

is there any way to amkie it so it does not remove custom member titles?

Fixed, as per previous post.