Topic: Encoding

There are some forums on the punbb with the language coding other then ISO-8859-1. I think it will be cool to have a possibility to set special encoding for each forum.

P.S. Sorry 4 my english smile

Re: Encoding

It's not as simple as it sounds. The character encoding applies to the whole page and not the just the post contents. It's a problem with all forums I know of and I don't believe there is a solution at the moment.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Why not use utf all thru the bbs?
/christian

Because PHP doesn't support utf8 natively and neither does MySQL prior to 4.1 (or something).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yes, you're right. But I think it's the time to think about a full-utf8-support PunBB smile
Until now, after many days play with punBB & MySQL UTF8, I think it's possible smile

[no signature]

You can put UTF-8 into MySQL 3.x and 4.0 without a problem. It still work. You simply don't have access to some fancy functions. Besides, MySQL 4.1 is what... 2 years old now ? Time to move on smile

vnpenguin wrote:

Yes, you're right. But I think it's the time to think about a full-utf8-support PunBB smile
Until now, after many days play with punBB & MySQL UTF8, I think it's possible smile

It's possible right now. Set the charset to utf-8, encode the locale strings into utf-8, for the most part it works. A full support of utf-8 would be nice though, and even more nicer to set utf-8 as the default charset (it would solve most of the non-english issues).

Jérémie wrote:

It's possible right now. Set the charset to utf-8, encode the locale strings into utf-8, for the most part it works. A full support of utf-8 would be nice though, and even more nicer to set utf-8 as the default charset (it would solve most of the non-english issues).

Yes, agree with you smile  (t'as raison).

[no signature]

*Up*

Would really love to see full utf8 support in punbb 1.3 too smile

Yes, I absolutely agree. Default utf-8 support for all PunBB future versions.

Of course, converting PunBB 1.2.11 to UTF-8 is quite easy, especially if the server runs PHP 5.x and MySQL 5.x.
It is even not that difficult to have it as "real" XHTML by sending application/xhtml+xml in the header (for browsers that support it, of course).