1 (edited by bodhisattva 2006-02-15 17:17)

Topic: Check for new posts

I want to write a program which would poll a forum (PunBB and/or Revo) at specific times and show an alert if there are any new posts. Perhaps, allow you to select the forums from which you want to receive the alerts.
I have some Delphi experience, I could code the thing easily, but there is a little problem. The forum requires you to be registered first before you could get the list of new posts. Can this be implemented by "fooling" the referrer check or there must be a more subtle solution for it?

Awaiting any suggestions.

Later edit:
This might be usefull, in my situation, when I'm at work or working home, no more need to press the refresh button in browser 100 times/day. You'll get a notify when you have new posts. Simple as that.

Re: Check for new posts

Why not use the rss.php script that was written by Radek and then later modified by Alex and others?

We've tested it and it works really well in Thunderbird, most of this testing has happened on Intranets to keep disparate locations in touch with one another on sensitive matters.

I used to code in Delphi way back when, my favorite IDE for Windows.

Well, you're absolute right, but the idea was to write a very very small program, which I can then port to any PDA (I am an addicted PDA user) using a Delphi to Asm decoder I found a while ago. Thunderbird or other RSS feeders are a little too complicated for this job, i wanted something < 100kb.

Delphi is the best IDE. period smile

or you could just simply add a javascript that will reload the page for you every...20 minutes or so. That also allows people to disable it if they don't want it.

There should be a way without modifying the punBB or Revo sourcecode. The automatic refresh method does not provide the same capabilities as a, let's say, icon in the taskbar (for example, the windows "your virtual memory is too low" stuff ).

bodhisattva wrote:

I want to write a program which would poll a forum (PunBB and/or Revo)

Tell me again why we should help your Revo project...

You want to help or you don't It's simple. If I disturb somebody here, I kindly ask a moderator or Rickard to remove my account. I didn't come here to kiss anybody's ass. If you didn't understand that ....

8 (edited by pogenwurst 2006-02-15 20:47)

Elzar wrote:
bodhisattva wrote:

I want to write a program which would poll a forum (PunBB and/or Revo)

Tell me again why we should help your Revo project...

Elzar, please be civil. I understand your annoyance or even anger towards bodhisattva (I have to admit I'm been more than a bit peeved at him too), but that is no reason to get this thread off-topic. Please, if you have any grievances to address with him, do so in private.

Edit: bodhisattva, also please try to be polite back, despite any problems you may have with what Elzar has said. Crude language will do nothing but further escalate the situation (the "not trying to kiss anybody's a**" part).

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.