Topic: Why the people will use PunBB?

Why the people will use PunBB and no other BB?

[img]http://www.chemicalfusion.net/jords/eddieb.jpg[/img]

Re: Why the people will use PunBB?

"Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself"

Heh, touche.

Through the awful grace of God

"Dude, CSS and XHTML are like two boys who are deeply in love.  They're perfect for each other, but no one can acccept it."

af3 wrote:

"Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself"

I agree...

wfox wrote:

It's not a matter of PunBB being superior to all other forum software - because it isn't. It all depends on what you want from your forum, and the preferences of you and your users. Check out PunBB's about page. If you like what you hear, then yes, PunBB is probably the best choice for you. It all depends on what you want to do. For most sites that want a fast, easily used forum, PunBB is great. However, if you want a forum software including "everything but the kitchen sink" PunBB might not be the best choice. If you're looking to create a large site based solely around the forum and want a ton of features, a great, fully featured board you might look at is vBulletin (just be warned, it will take up a lot more resources than PunBB, and is not free). And if you want to get hacked, phpBB might be just the software for you. tongue

These couple sentences from the about page pretty much sum things up.

Developing software to "please the masses" isn't difficult. Just cram in every possible feature you can think of and most people will love it. Some people, however, will hate it and look for alternatives.

... PunBB is one of those alternatives.

And like af3 said, you have to see it for yourself. You're using a PunBB forum right now. If you like it as a user, then most likely you'll like it as an admin.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

to test is to adopt it big_smile

wfox wrote:

I suggest you look into these classes.

To reiterate what others have already said, PunBB is a forum. People think of Internet forums, and they think of private messages and calendars. When I think of a forum, I think of it as it's definition: "A public meeting place for open discussion."

If you want a forum, PunBB is for you. If you want other stuff, go with something else.

Bassguy wrote:

I suggest you look into these classes.

I know, my english suck smile

[img]http://www.chemicalfusion.net/jords/eddieb.jpg[/img]

Please, let's be civilized, no need to piledrive each other smile

I chose PunBB, because I wanted something more simple than PHPBB or IPB... smile

the musnet.com

By the way - how much is the fish?

I chose it because phpBB was pissing me off with crashes and just mainly sucked. And because Smartys poked me alot to use it back then.

wfox wrote:

Because it's standard compliant.

13 (edited by Ruckus 2006-02-22 09:39)

pogenwurst wrote:

If you're looking to create a large site based solely around the forum and want a ton of features, a great, fully featured board you might look at is vBulletin

Thats not true, you just have to mod PunBB up a little until you get a decent site, for example, My Friend  Reines and I run a small community here http://www.syi.cc, at the time of me writing this, the forum stats are as follows:

SYI age: 57 days

Forum stats
Members: 1,831
Total topics: 5,335
Total posts: 78,227

Members online: 7
Online today: 538
Guests online: 1

WhatPulse stats
Members: 92
Keys: 153,842,006
Clicks: 71,737,402

There arnt very many people online as its 3 am atm tongue

Great for modifying!

I run a math forum, and the members ask for special features - I can usually provide it, because PunBB's code is neatly done.

And the community is great, with lots of "mods" already in existence.

Ruckus wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

If you're looking to create a large site based solely around the forum and want a ton of features, a great, fully featured board you might look at is vBulletin

Thats not true, you just have to mod PunBB up a little until you get a decent site, for example, My Friend  Reines and I run a small community here http://www.syi.cc, at the time of me writing this, the forum stats are as follows:

...but not everyone is willing to spend the time to mod their forum - I am, and obviously you are, but some people seem to be afraid of code (of course, the extension system in 1.3 should change things quite a bit).

I was speaking of a mostly stock install of each, but of course you're right (though please remember that I never said that PunBB could not be used for such a purpose, just that it might not be the best choice - although that is purely a matter of opinion), with significant modding, PunBB could be an extremely feature-rich forum app to rival vBulletin (but along the same lines, I could also say that with "significant modding" a piece of simple guestbook software from the 90s could be made into feature-rich forum software, could I not? wink)

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

The following is a list of mods. The ones in bold are ones needed to be completed. They are all made by Reines or he used another mod and modified it. (He owns the site I simply help run it etc).

List of mods:

- Skin
- Boards
- Rules
  - IRC rules
  - Board stickies
- PMs
- Ability to choose link target
- Polls
- Awards
  - Ability to award users
  - Admin page to add/remove awards
  - Help page showing what each means
- Image verification
  - Install GD library
  - Verification on registration
- Group colours & Info
  - admin colour
  - mod colour
  - user group info
- Edit Messaging Profile
  - irc
  - google-talk
  - remove jabber
- Anti referer URL tags
- Adverts
  - Affiliates
  - Google adverts
  - Paypal donate
- Post author in seperate column
- Portal
  - navigation
  - statistics
  - announcements
  - affiliates
- IP => Country lookup
- Ban logs
- Post count restricted boards
- Hidden categories
- Code Syntax colouring
  - cpp
  - java
  - php
  - ini
  - apache
  - mysql
  - vbnet
  - pascal
  - mirc
  - tcl
- Remove censoring
- Remove announcement
- IRC
  - server link
  - java chat applet
- RSS announcement feeds
- Donations
  - List of donors
  - Admin option to add users
- Downloads
  - downloads plugin
  - ability to limit users bandwidth usage
  - descriptions of downloads
  - Admin panel to upload/wget more
- Post count pips
- Proxy scanner script with cache

- Downloads
  - downloads plugin
  - ability to limit users bandwidth usage
  - descriptions of downloads
  - Admin panel to upload/wget more

i hope this one gets converted to run with PunBB 1.3.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

I think I prefer PunBB over the rest because:

1. It is considerably less bloated than the other bbs packages (sort of like the Lite Beer commercial, "Tastes Great, Less Filling").
2. Modification is far less complicated than the other bbs packages.
3. The learning curve on how to administer the package is VERY low... easy is good.
4. It appears to be pretty darn stable.
5. Overall the folks who use it seem to friendly and eager to help out without getting all snooty and harsh.
6. The price is right! smile

I use vBulletin at one other site simply because I purchased a license a few years ago and I don't want to let it go to waste.

I have given up on packages such as IPB, SMF and Burning Board because, simply put, they are bloated and I personaly think WAY overpriced. I have NO problem paying for a software, as long as it is reasonable for your "Everyday Joe". I'd pay for PunBB if it went to a commercial software, as long as it was reasonably priced.

Keep up the good work with PunBB, I plan on using it for all my sites that require a bbs package for many years to come.

1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 all the way!

As for 2, I don't have experience modding other forum packages, so I really couldn't give an honest opinion.

1) it doesnt require editing 20pages to make a template
2) its fast
3) its got just about 95% of the options other boards have