Topic: SMTP problem

Someone has just registered on my forums (My First person!)

However have not recieved an email. At present I have nothing in the SMTP box, but when I put something in there (mail.btinternet.com) and my username and password it comes up with error: cannot contact smtp host 'mail.btinternet.com'.

Anyone any ideas?

Ta

Re: SMTP problem

It says thanks for registering when I leave it blank, but I never recieve a password if I do.

Leave the SMTP details blank unless you have a reason to use them. It will default to using php's mail() function.

Thanks for the reply,

For some reason when they are blank, people who register are not recieving emails with their passwords?
Thanks

I've just found out that for some reason my free hosting (awarspace.com) doesn't allow SMTP mail with their free accounts. I therefore need to be able to use mine (mail.btinternet.com).

For some reason though, even with username and password in it still won't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

As i said, leave them blank to use the built in php mail() function, theres no need to use SMTP at all.

If leaving it blank isn't working then ask your host why php mail() doesn't work (or check the TOS/FAQ to see if it's disabled for a reason).

I've read the forums for my host and somemone asked when php mail() wasn't working and they said that it was disabled with their free package.

This is really starting to annoy me!! - pls help smile

Upgrade to the not free package would be the easy option.

But surely the SMTP option should work?

11 (edited by Reines 2006-02-21 13:22)

Well if the host has php mail() disabled and doesn't give SMTP, it may well block SMTP connections too, to any host.

AffroThund3r wrote:

cannot contact smtp host 'mail.btinternet.com'.

The fact it can't contact the host would imply that too, since I can contact it fine.