Topic: Pages not loading

Hi,

I am trying to install PunBB but when I go to the install.php it loads part way and then sits there. I have apache 2, 5.1.2-1, and sqlite. Any ideas?

DeCaf

2 (edited by CodeXP 2006-03-03 23:59)

Re: Pages not loading

Hmm, sounds like this (or something similar) could be causing your problem: Link...

Unfortunately that is a different problem. when I load the install.php page it never even gets to a point where I can tell it what db to use. It just loads about 2/3 of the way and then sits there loading. If I hit cancel it brings up the page and I can configure it. Then it only loads 2/3 of the next page and I hit cancel to get it to come up. I got it configured this way but then the index page does the same thing.

Sounds strange though, as at this stage of the install, there's not even any DB queries done yet.. Does this happen to any other scripts on your server?

PunBB is the only thing to have any trouble on my server.

6 (edited by CodeXP 2006-03-04 00:21)

What browser do you use? If using FF, try right clicking the page, and choose page info. I'm just wondering if your pages could be sent as an image, or some other incorrect type. I've seen this happened on a phpBB forum before, due to some messed up server config... this of course resulted in some very strange behaviour, with one of the symptoms being that the pages only loaded partially, if at all.

EDIT: Try adding the following code to install.php, directly below $punbb_version = '1.2.11';

header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8');

7 (edited by decaf 2006-03-04 00:23)

I am getting it as type text/html. It has this same problem in both FF and Safari.

I tried adding that line and it did not help.

The thing is though, there's not really any special code that should be able to cause the install.php script to not load completely, until after you actually submit it. Basically, there's just a few checks to see if certain functions exists. Certainly nothing that should be able to cause problems, as long as the server itself is correctly configured.

What does the log files of your server say?

I get this line:
[Fri Mar 03 10:22:32 2006] [error] [client 216.**.***.***] File does not exist: /data/www/www.mydomain.com/favicon.ico

I just loaded your install.php perfectly in IE6 and Firefox 1.5. I wonder if this could be a Mac glitch rather than a server glitch.

That might be possible. But FF 1.5 on mac should render the same was as the windows version does. I will try it under linux and windows and see what happens.

Ok, I have solved the problem. The issue is that the server is inside my network and so am I. However I was using my external IP to access it. Apparently either my server config or PunBB doesn't like that. I have a feeling it is PunBB because none of my other scripts have that issue. I just put my servers internal ip into my hosts file and it pulls up just fine now.

I will make sure somebody who knows more about this stuff sees your post so they can say if there is a PunBB problem or not. I also edited your earlier post to remove your ip.

Thanks. I look forward to learning more about PunBB and helping where I can.

Mac users are always handy for markup/css testing so you might get called upon smile

16 (edited by decaf 2006-03-04 02:24)

just shoot me an email and I'll do what I can big_smile

I run Mac/Linux/Windows machines so I can test for just about everything.