Topic: Don't want the users to register - possible?

I'm administrating a webpage for some friends (30 people). Only we have access to the page with a login and password (we all use the same). Now I've downloaded and started with punbb and it looks good. But I don't want the users to login one more time to get to write in the forum. Is it possible to change it so they don't need to do that? Only write their names every time they post a tread or answer anything?

I also wonder how to get rid of the part on the index-page where it says how many registered users the forum has and latest post and who is online...

2 (edited by pogenwurst 2006-03-09 22:23)

Re: Don't want the users to register - possible?

LINDA wrote:

I'm administrating a webpage for some friends (30 people). Only we have access to the page with a login and password (we all use the same). Now I've downloaded and started with punbb and it looks good. But I don't want the users to login one more time to get to write in the forum. Is it possible to change it so they don't need to do that? Only write their names every time they post a tread or answer anything?

So from what I understand, they log in to be able to view your entire site, which includes the forum, correct? In that case, why not just enable guest posting (Admin>Groups - also make sure that forums have the right permissions in Admin>Forums)?

LINDA wrote:

I also wonder how to get rid of the part on the index-page where it says how many registered users the forum has and latest post and who is online...

The online list can be removed with an option in the admin panel (look for "Users online"). To get rid of the other stuff you can comment it out in index.php. Do you want the whole stats box removed, or just the items you mentioned?

P.S. moved to PunBB discussions.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

the simplest way: remove the register script

I'm here to learn English...
So, don't laugh at me because of my poor grammar... but point it out, Thank you.
Drag Reducing Agents

deerchao wrote:

the simplest way: remove the register script

If you are going to take that route, all you have to do is disallow registrations from the admin panel.

The way I interpreted what she said was not that she didn't want users to be able to register, but that she did not want them to need to register.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Hi,
Thank you very much. I've changed the settings so that guests also can post messages. But I don't want the users to see the navigation-line so they think they have to register or login. I have edited the main.tpl and figured out that if I remove the line
<pun_navlinks> the users doesn't see the navigation-bar. But neither do I so it is hard to login as an admin to change the settings. How can I smartly change this?

Well, just remove the Login link. Search for generate_navlinks in functions.php wink

Also, while it won't cover the login link, setting "Allow new user registrations" (or something like that) to "No" in the options will remove the register link for you.

As for the login link, you can remove that in include/functions.php, like elbekko said. To login easily, why not just bookmark the login page in your browser?

I think you all are doing this a little more difficult then it needs to be smile

All you need to do to hide the login link in the navigation bar, is to add the following at the end of your .CSS (oxygen.css etc.):

.pun li#navlogin { display: none }

Simple & easy, and doesn't require any modifications of PunBB.

CodeXP wrote:

I think you all are doing this a little more difficult then it needs to be smile

...but... must.... over-engineer things.... tongue

pogenwurst wrote:
CodeXP wrote:

...but... must.... over-engineer things.... tongue

Hehe, I usually do that as well wink