Topic: Visit timeout

Spent the last 5 days away from the computer and started visiting the forums today to catch up.

When I hit the PunBB forums, there were 4 pages of Posts Since Last Visit. The timeout ran out before I got through all of them, so I missed some of the new posts.

Should we think about increasing the timeout from the default of 10 minutes? At least that should give people a bit more time to catch up that don't have a chance to visit the forum on a daily basis where maybe 1 or 2 pages are the norm.

Re: Visit timeout

I would actually really have liked it, if we were able to set that in the user profile instead of having to use the board default. Would just make PunBB that more suitable to everyone smile

Yeah i was on vaction for 5 five days and the same thing happened to me... This would be nice if there was alonger time out!!! or users could pick it!!

My PunRes Wiki Mods:
1.) Remove Post Icon in View Topic And in Index
2.) Bold Links In Header
[img]http://www.the-artbreak.com/forum/img/smilies/socom.png[/img]

hcgtv wrote:

Spent the last 5 days away from the computer and started visiting the forums today to catch up.

When I hit the PunBB forums, there were 4 pages of Posts Since Last Visit. The timeout ran out before I got through all of them, so I missed some of the new posts.

Should we think about increasing the timeout from the default of 10 minutes? At least that should give people a bit more time to catch up that don't have a chance to visit the forum on a daily basis where maybe 1 or 2 pages are the norm.

Thought of this before. It is nicely implemented on Snitz forums. Take a look at this or take a look at the (live demo)

If not adopted for a standard feature, maybe it's a good start for an extension system in 1.3.

although not a solution to whoever doesn't use firefox(or opera) but if there are too many topics for me to read here i just open them in new tabs so the timeout doesn't kill the new post icon for me.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

James, I use Firefox and do open the topics I want to read in a new tab.

But the problem is that if you're on page 2 and it's taken you 10 minutes to get through those 2 pages, when you click the '3' to go to page 3, they're not there anymore. So you'd have to open all the pages in seperate tabs to be assured of not losing all the new posts since last visit.

Hmm. As long as you do "something", it shouldn't time out. If you spend 10 minutes writing a post then yes, it will time out. But if you visit a page or do anything that sends a request to the server, you get another 10 minutes.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."