Topic: Boot Camp Turns Your Mac Into a Reliable Windows PC

Boot Camp Turns Your Mac Into a Reliable Windows PC

For mainstream computer users doing typical tasks, Apple Computer's Macintosh models have huge advantages over the prevalent Windows computers from companies such as Dell and Hewlett-Packard. The Macs have sleeker hardware designs, a superior operating system, much better built-in software, and virtually no exposure to viruses and spyware. Apple's flagship model, the iMac, is the best consumer desktop on the market.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/images/MK-AG066_PTECH_20060405214044.jpg

But, there's a big barrier for Windows users tempted to switch to the Mac: software. While there are thousands of programs for the Mac's operating system, called OS X, potential Mac buyers often find they have one or two Windows programs they must use that have no Mac equivalent. These range from custom software required by their employers, to niche programs for specific industries or hobbies, to games.

Read more...

Re: Boot Camp Turns Your Mac Into a Reliable Windows PC

This is very interesting indeed, virtualization is coming of age.

If the Macs came down in price it would blow Wintel out of the water.

It's a good thing, but I will never install Windows on my beautiful 20" iMac. I went to Apple to get away from Windows.

There isn't anything I can't do in Mac OS X.

I'm loving this. I was this close *holds up thumb and index finger really close to each other* to buying a mini mac the other day. The reasons I'm still running Windows are:

* Internet Explorer (for testing)
* Visual Studio (for ASP.NET development)
* Games

With Boot Camp and the new intel macs, the top two are sorted. Now, the only thing I need is an intel mac with a powerful graphics card. I guess I'll have to wait for the new powermacs.

Question: I have a SCSI card and a 15000rpm Seagate Cheetah disk that I use for the operating system and apps. Will I be able to use this in a powermac? I never want to back to ATA disks.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Question: I have a SCSI card and a 15000rpm Seagate Cheetah disk that I use for the operating system and apps. Will I be able to use this in a powermac? I never want to back to ATA disks.

I know when I first speced out a G5, it had SATA drives in it. Don't see why you couldn't add your card and drive to a PowerMac.

I have a pair of 200GB SATA drives on my home Linux workstation/server and I love their speed. Of course it's not as fast as SCSI but for the price they give you plenty to be happy about.