Topic: hey everybody... and stuff

Hello everybody... well it looks like punbb got really huge.

when i was picking a forum script i was almost picking pubb... but then i choosed phorum instead because off the private message feature wich i really wanted.

now, punbb got really huge comparede to phorum.

I wont change the board i run to pubb... i will let that be with phorum. But within some time i might be runing another board for another site... and i would like to try punbb.

dont misunderstand me.... i am not saying that this or tat one is beter than the other or creating a fight here. I like phorum, and i think i will like punbb as well.

so i have a few question i would like to be given diferent answers/opinions about:

ok... current release feature list? Have avatar and pm been included in the default instalation? I see sooooooo many bords with avatars everywhere.

Migration tools? from wich other sistems? phorum?

punres... it is a totaly independent board from the oficial forums right? do they release their own hacked versions?

at last: have you tried both phorum and punbb? what do you like the best/worst on each?

2 (edited by Jansson 2006-04-30 14:34)

Re: hey everybody... and stuff

Avatars have, IIRC, been there since beta. PM has not been included and hopefully never will be. However, there is a mod for this to be found over at PunRes: http://www.punres.org/desc.php?pid=52

The current migration tool can convert the following databases into PunBB:
    *  Invision Power Board 1.3
    * Invision Power Board 2.0
    * MiniBB 1.7d
    * phpBB 2.0
    * PHPNuke 7.4
    * vBulletin 3.0.0
    * YabbSE 1.5.5
    * SMF 1.0.5
    * SimpleBoard 1.7d
    * PHP-Fusion

PunRes is a website for people to publish their PunBB mods but also has quite a few other features aswell. The PunRes script itself is not released.

No, I've never tried phorum wink

mmm...

PM has not been included and hopefully never will be

whats so bad with it?

pedrotuga wrote:

mmm...

PM has not been included and hopefully never will be

whats so bad with it?

It's not really essential to a forum. In many cases it just serves to add bloat.

For people who do think it is necessary, well, that's why there's the PM mod.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Why use PM when there's an email form?

ok i didn't notice that. lol

yep, why? the only reason ppl really uses pm is because they send an email notification.

geting convinced more and more big_smile