Topic: Anyone done this?

Hi all,

I run a blog and want to channel all user comments into my punBB forum. I basically need a snippet that automatically creates a new topic in the proper forum when clicking on a "Comments(0)" link displayed at the bottom of my blog post.

The snippet should fetch the subject heading from the blog post and insert the blog post content as the first post. The user should then be automatically redirected to start writing his comments in a second post. After posting, the blog post link should change to "Comments(1)".

Of course, when "Comments(1)" or more the first step should be skipped and the user be immediately redirected to create a new post (2,3,4 etc) in the current topic.

One more thing, the initial forum post (with the blog post content) should have a fixed height with overflow scrollable and also a link back to the original blog post created automatically.

Has this or anything similar been done by anyone?

Mats W.

Re: Anyone done this?

Soo.... you want to have a specific forum where you post blog posts, the first post of that thread is your blog post and the rest are comments. Sounds easy enough =P I bet someone did this (isn't there a news mod or something?)

Hi Mats,

We did that with Nucleus CMS, a plugin was created.

The plugin creates a PunBB topic whenever a new post is made on the front end, then users comment on the forum.

The hcgtv link in my sig will show you what I mean. I have the plugin, email me and I'll send it to you if you'd like to use it as a basis for your work.

4 (edited by Mats Wall 2006-05-08 17:45)

@elbekko: Well just to clarify, the blog posts are in a proper weblog created in MODx CMS. But the weblog and punBB uses the same MySQL database but with different _prefix, so it shouldn't be too hard to do this. Right?

@hcgtv: Yeah, something like that. I'd be happy to look at your Nucleus plugin to see how you went about it. I'll send you an e-mail.

Thanks,

Mats W.