Topic: Forum Access Question

When I go edit forum access, it gives the options of "Read Forum"  "Post Replies" and "Post Topics". Is there a way to have the user only be able to "Post Topics"?  When I try it, it doesn't work because "Read Forum" would need to be checked.

If that way isn't possible, would there be another way for a user to be able to post in a forum without having access to it? Something like a contact/submission form.

Re: Forum Access Question

I've also tried to do this (unsuccessfully of course). Seems like it would be a nice feature.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

I don't think a forum software is the best way to solve your problem hmm

Why on earth would you want somebody to be able to post topics and then not see the replies to them. That defeats the whole purpose of the forum.

Paul wrote:

Why on earth would you want somebody to be able to post topics and then not see the replies to them. That defeats the whole purpose of the forum.

I know you're a mod and all...but read the first post.  He gives a good explanation as to why he would want this in the first post.

It's certainly not anything that should be weighed heavily in the next PunBB release...but it is a viable question.

Paul wrote:

It wouldn't be to all the forums. What im trying to do is have someone be able to send in an application to join a group. I want the group to be able to see who apps, but I dont want the people who app to be able to see what other people have posted, keeping everyone's app private.

Can't you just put a link somewhere, that everyone can see, that goes to this page: post.php?fid=
And after fid= you just put the id of your application forum. Normally it should allow posting, so it should work...

elbekko wrote:

Can't you just put a link somewhere, that everyone can see, that goes to this page: post.php?fid=
And after fid= you just put the id of your application forum. Normally it should allow posting, so it should work...

I tried that, except it gives an undesired result by saying "Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated."

When I go to edit the forum, the "Read forum" and "Post topics" are both highlighted in pink. This is under the condition that only "Post topics" is checked.

Hrmm... too bad sad

I'd actually see it as a bug, as it's a feature not working...