1 (edited by pradtf 2006-06-11 04:39)

Topic: phpBB-mysql ==> punBB-postgre

the discussions on this forum have convinced me to switch. besides, i like puns.

i need to go from phpBB-mysql to punBB-postgre.

i can think of several ways to do this, but am uncertain of the merits of each.

1. mysqldump the phpBB forum then convert it to postgre and hope that the result will work with punBB
2. do a backup through phpBB then convert it to postgre and hope that the result will work with punBB
3. use conversion tool to go from phpBB to punBB in mysql, then mysqldump, convert to postgre and hope ...

as one can see, there is a lot of hoping because the assumption is phpBB and punBB are sufficiently similar in structure so that the data is compatible.

if this is not the case, i see only 2 other possiblities:

1. understand the structures of phpBB in mysql and punBB in postgre and write a conversion program
2. manually transfer the information (doable because the forums aren't big yet)

insights or even incites would be appreciated.

in friendship,
prad

Re: phpBB-mysql ==> punBB-postgre

hello prad!
i hope you don't mind if i post here big_smile

after looking at the table structures setup by punbb on postgre and those on mysql by phpbb, i think doing the thing manually might be best. they look very different and since there aren't too many things to transfer, it really isn't worth the trouble to do it otherwise.

so we'd set up users and login under their names and copy the posts - letting punbb take care of the linking between the users and their posts. seems safest to me with my minimal level of experience.

what i'm puzzled about is the conversion program that exists. does it handle the passwords?
phpBB uses md5 and punbb (at least on my postgre) does sha1.
since md5 can't be decrypted (from what i have read), how can the conversion program set the users up?
unless what is does is set them up with random passwords and let them change these later?

in friendship,
prad

PunBB can do md5 and sha1. If a user logs in and there is an md5 hash as their password when the server can do sha1, then the server logs them in and changes the password to sha1.

Smartys wrote:

PunBB can do md5 and sha1. If a user logs in and there is an md5 hash as their password when the server can do sha1, then the server logs them in and changes the password to sha1.

that is just fantastic to know!
i copied the md5 hash into the password field for a user and logged in under their name and just as you said, the password field was updated into sha1.
this is very nice because it means that i won't have to ask everyone to redo their passwords and the switchover will be quite seamless!
many thanks!!

in friendship,
prad