Topic: Can't login through URL Forwarding

I've got the following issue (I'll try to explain as easy as possible, this is confusing):

1. My actual webspace is at www.unixcore.com/~dennis/punbb/ and I've registered a .be domain here in Belgium. I use URL Forwarding to let all requests for the .be domain pass to www.unixcore.com/dennis/punbb/, no problems so far.

2. Nobody except me can login to my forum. I can login at my computer with other people's logins. They can't do anything.

3. I've asked a user to try to login at www.unixcore.com/~dennis/punbb/index.php instead of navigating to 'forum' in my menu at the .be domain. IT WORKS.

4. User logs out again, tries the .be again, doesn't work.

5. I've set my Privacy Level in Internet Explorer (cookie control) from LOW to MEDIUM... Doesn't login either. I try the www.unixcore.com/~dennis/punbb/index.php, IT WORKS.

Conclusion so far: it seems to be a cookie acceptance problem, when I try logging in to my forum through the .be domain name, it only works when cookie control is LOW. I can login at www.unixcore.com/~dennis/punbb/index.php anytime, even with cookie control at HIGH. What is the actual problem here??

Re: Can't login through URL Forwarding

This is a known "issue" (not a bug) with Internet Explorer 6 and it's privacy settings. Read more about it here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54259

Most of the time the only solution is to not use a frame based domain redirect. However, sometimes sending P3P headers helps out:

header('P3P: CP="NOI ADM DEV PSAi COM NAV OUR OTRo STP IND DEM"');

Add that to header.php where the other HTTP headers are sent out. Tell me if it works.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

So I've just added this line to header.php (it makes no difference where I exactly put it, right?) but it doesn't work :-( I repeat: it makes no difference where I put it in the header.php file, right??

I've set 'Send in frame redirect' to NO in my domain admin options... Problem solved, but now my .be domain name isn't visible anymore in the address bar :-(

And by the way:

Method 3 (vBulletin Only)
=======
vBulletin offer an option to not use cookies for site navigation. But, you will not be able to save your Username/Password between each session.

To set vBulletin to not use cookies, do the following :
- Click on "User CP"
- Click on "Edit Options"
- Change the option of "Browse board with cookies?" to "No"

Can't you do this for PunBB as well? Just a question...

No, unfortunately not. It requires the use of sessions and PunBB doesn't use sessions at all.

Try this then:

header('P3P: policyref="http://www.your_site.com/bla/p3p.xml" CP="NON CURa ADMa TAIa OUR BUS IND UNI COM NAV"');

I'm not sure if p3p.xlm must exists and if it must contain valid information.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

It doesn't do anything either... I'm still not sure where to actually put this line of code in header.php though?!

It doesn't really matter where. Just put it by the other header() calls.

But, as I said, it only works on some setups. To fix it permanently, you would have to skip the domain redirect and get a "real domain".

As I said, I've tried both, nothing happens...

I know, but it costs quite some money here in Belgium :-( thanx for the help!

If the problem is framed based redirection, isn't there some easy way of automatically breaking out of the frame and forcing the site to reload at its true location. Of course you would then get the sites real address showing up rather than the domain.

ps21 wrote:

If the problem is framed based redirection, isn't there some easy way of automatically breaking out of the frame and forcing the site to reload at its true location. Of course you would then get the sites real address showing up rather than the domain.

Not easy for everyone smile I see what you mean but not sure how to do it

That's not a bad work around.  I've been looking for satisfactory solutions for the very same problem.  The message board on my site is just one part so I will do this.

www.zapgun.org

The main page has links to nomal HTML pages so i will carry on using the frame web-forwarding for this.  The link for the message board now jumps out of the framed window using;

<A href="msgbrd/index.php" target="_top">

the target="_top" takes it out of the frame.  I wonder if his helps anyone else.  Let me know if it's of use!

12 (edited by ShawnBrown 2004-11-26 04:11)

The following JavaScript line should bust out of a frame as well...

top.location.replace(unescape(window.location.pathname));
Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.