Topic: Automate News Generator

So here's my 'problem', I can't think of how to automate the News Generator plugin so that it'll automatically generate the news file when a post is added, deleted, or modified, etc. has anyone else developed a way, or know of a "work around" to make the plugin automatically generate the news instead of manually having to do it each time? I think I've seen some posts about using a cron job, but I don't think it'd be _possible_ with the way it's setup currently? correct me if I am wrong though. Any help is much appreciated.

Re: Automate News Generator

I believe the extern.php news extension will automatically reflect new posts and edits, but you'd lose the advantage of the flatfiles made by the news generator plugin.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:

I believe the extern.php news extension will automatically reflect new posts and edits, but you'd lose the advantage of the flatfiles made by the news generator plugin.

Yeah, I'm aware of extern.php the only thing is, is the format that it outputs the data in. I'd rather it be like the News Generator plugin. I guess if all else fails, I'll just integrate the code into my index and have it output on its own through MySQL.

helter wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

Yeah, I'm aware of extern.php the only thing is, is the format that it outputs the data in. I'd rather it be like the News Generator plugin. I guess if all else fails, I'll just integrate the code into my index and have it output on its own through MySQL.

Did you read the linked thread? It's not the standard extern.php presentation.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:
helter wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

Did you read the linked thread? It's not the standard extern.php presentation.

Ah, no, I assumed (not good) that it was just the standard extern.php. I will indeed check it out. Thanks.