Re: Users in 2 Groups?

Connorhd wrote:

Errm, why are you using PunBB then? PunBB is most certainly not meant to be a free alternative to vB.

I wasn't talking to you, was I?  Are you the spokesman for the group?

I use PunBB because it's relatively light, but the lack of functions fucking pisses me off.  The fact that multiple people request something, yet it never gets implimented, is also irksome.  Oh, it is completely possible for a software package to be light while having useful features.  It's more like Rickard just doesn't want to fuck with coding what people really want.

If you knew how to read, you'd also see that I would get vB, but I'm not willing to pay for it.

Shinryu wrote:

Well, no, but he's a moderator here, the person who runs MyPunBB.org, and a very active poster here: in other words, he knows what he's talking about.
You might want to read this post: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=4901#p4901
Or this page: http://punbb.org/about.php

Shinryu wrote:

I use PunBB because it's relatively light, but the lack of functions fucking pisses me off.

relatively light = lack of functions

Shinryu wrote:

The fact that multiple people request something, yet it never gets implimented, is also irksome.  Oh, it is completely possible for a software package to be light while having useful features.  It's more like Rickard just doesn't want to fuck with coding what people really want.

Or that mob rule is never the right way to run anything wink

Shinryu wrote:

If you knew how to read, you'd also see that I would get vB, but I'm not willing to pay for it.

Then you have no excuse to complain: you get what you pay for tongue

28 (edited by CableGuy 2005-12-17 09:43)

As much as I hate for my first post here to be a "jump in the middle of the frying pan" here it goes anyhow. smile

I'm a Moderator at a VBulletin forum.  I really love the thing.  It works well for a large group and handles durn' near everything that the user base seems to want.  But it's closed, not open like punBB.

Granted, I've only just started moding my own punBB setup.  What I have found though, is that with some effort, you can get something very close to the fuctionality of VB, and GPL'ed to boot.  There is a very active base of developer/users here (and at punRes.org) for extending the core engine.  Granted, you may need to jump through some hoops, but that is the fun of it all isn't it?

As far as the VB price.  I actually think the lifetieme price is kind of reasonable. Not too far off from a few college level textbooks really.  The problem is that it is not a GPL product and therefore not extendable to the community at large.  punBB is by design open to all and therefore exibits the growth that I have read about in the forums here since the 1.1.x days.  Since I am jumping on the bandwagon at the relatively stable 1.2.10 stage I guess I may be missing some of the pain, but since I am jumping in at this point I don't really care about all those trials and tribulations (damn, why don't you have the spellchecker that Smartys describes so well in the wiki set up here) many have had to go through.  All I really care about is that we seem to have access to a very excellent BASE product that is FREE (oh so free) to do with as we please.

Speaking on the light aspect, I am also involved with the fltk.org group that believes in providing a SOLID core and letting the end user beat the crap out of it in any way they see fit.  Sounds like the mentality with the core developers here.

Thanks for the great product.  I look forward to using it to improve the integation on my site as the future becomes, well, the future.

I guess I just want to weigh in on the fact that if you are willing to MOD it, you can have the excess you need.  If you want Fast and Light, you get it out of the box.  It doesn't seem to be a real point to argue about, just a personal preference as to where you want to go with it...

Cheers All,
Mark

lol, very nicely said smile
And welcome tongue

It is also worth noting that when you have a limited number of people working on a project part-time they can only devote so much time and energy to it. The more features, the more thinly that time and energy gets spread possibly at the expense of refining the core product to make it as good as it possibly can be.

I like PunBB for the same reason I like Debian, a solid core that can be added to if I so desire.

The Debian developers have taken a lot of heat in the past for their slow and steady pace but look at how many Distros are based on Debian today.

I follow a lot of forums in a given day, they run PunBB, phpBB, SMF, vBulletin & IPB. In the forums that run PunBB, I can read threads and reply faster than on any other forum. No freaking smilies distracting me, taking ages for an edit bar full of really cool things I can do to my text to draw.

In the end, all I want to do is read someone's message and reply to it, that's it.

Shinryu wrote:

There is no spokesperson for PunBB, If you post in this forum you are talking to me.

Shinryu wrote:

I use PunBB because it's relatively light, but the lack of functions fucking pisses me off.  The fact that multiple people request something, yet it never gets implimented, is also irksome.

PunBB is not meant to please the masses, just because alot of people want something doesn't mean its a good thing to have in a forum which is not meant to be feature packed.

Shinryu wrote:

Oh, it is completely possible for a software package to be light while having useful features.  It's more like Rickard just doesn't want to fuck with coding what people really want.

Well, the more features you add the less light it becomes (obviously), and if you want to be offensive you can leave.

Shinryu wrote:

When did i tell you to buy vB? I simply said PunBB is not meant to be an alternative to vB, if you want an alternative to vB there are certainly ones out there. (http://mybboard.net/ ?)

I agree that this would be a very useful feature. Might be a bit annoying to code, but well worth it.

I'd like to request this as well. I understand you don't feel it would benefit most users, I'm hoping enough of us chime in to change that opinion.

35 (edited by Jérémie 2006-07-21 22:42)

I also think it's a core feature of forums, and I also waste time on multiple groups handling every needed scenarios. However I do understand what's at stake, and what that would imply. Maybe it's best to leave it open in 1.3, play with the new version, the new plugin system, and see what can be done with it. If it ain't possible to achieve that with a plugin, then we could always try to convince Rickard to implement it in 1.4. Or best, someone PHP knowledgeable could submit a diff patch to the community, and keep Rickard working on other things smile

I dont remember how the admin interface looks, how to create new groups and what they can and what they cant do. But as others has mentioned earlier it is a handy tool for bords if you can assign membership for a use to more than one group. Is this not possible to fix if you creates enough groups for your users.

User 1 can be assigned to group 1 that lets him post in category x + y
User 2 can be assigned to group 2 that lets him post in category x
User 3 can be assigned to group 3 that lets him post in category x +y+ z

Or am i thinking wrong?

Just chiming in to say I'd also like a one user to many group relationship mechanism (or mod - anyone...?) added - I'm going to go the annoying (and maintenance nightmare) route that lhffan posted.