1 (edited by Mad-Wolfie 2006-07-22 10:47)

Topic: Thoughts please.

opinions please...

www.discoandkaraoke.net

a bit of history..

the site started out life as a place for me to promote my own services however a few months back i was under some pressure to launch a directory & a forum of my own but make it open to everyone, bowing to pressure here is the result.

I'm using pretty much a stock version of punBB with templates & mods available on punres (although finding arcade games is proving tricky), Now the site has been added to punbbig.  As well the forum i'm using as a Bosdev directory script to make the directory section, everything else is my own work.

.... & i'm 99% happy with it so far (always open to new suggestions though)

For my next project, I think it's time to start work converting one of my other sites to run punbb instead of phpbb - a bikers charity site www.stokebikeruns.co.uk

Re: Thoughts please.

kewl site.. but why html/ folder?
i normally install the punbb in the main directory and rename the index.php to forum.php
then fix the links with in viewtopic viewforum functions.php to point to forum.php instead of index.php then add the punbb cookie and session to the top of every page . so that i can make members only page. it help me keep things organized.
here are a few things that i listed from my site that i have played with and my main.tpl
http://bunpai.com/viewforum.php?id=5

evil giggles....
Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

3 (edited by Mad-Wolfie 2006-07-23 18:42)

there is a reason why i do the /html folder... mainly because the package i use for site designing (NetObjects Fusion) does it by default - it can be altered to set it for other methods but pretty much these day's i've grown to like the original idea & then it has helped me because then i can set the different stuff in the relevent folders... the homepage is always in the root directory, all the HTML pages go in the HTML folder & then any applications (such as forums, guestbooks, directory pages, mailing managers for newsletters etc) go into seperate folders.. this mainly keeps the whole site neat so i know if i have to alter on part of the site i just go into the relevent folder so if for example i have a index.php file in a seperate folder, i'm not going to fall into the trap editing a guestbook index file when i'm altering an index file from a different folder.   At one time i used to drop all the HTML files into the root directory but usually got into a terrible mess!

Plus I'm able to keep seperate folders for images, flash files & javascripts.. like i say just for my own convenience... it doesn't make navigation any more difficult.

Mad-Wolfie wrote:

mainly because the package i use for site designing (NetObjects Fusion) does it by default

NetObjects, that's what I used to use back in the late 90's. Hell of a nice system to create your pages, that's what got me looking at dynamic sites.

I liked the way you could make a change and it replicated throughout your site, generate the html then upload the changes to your host. That thinking is why I like dynamic site tools, it's so easy for me to change a header, footer or menu sidebars and it's instantaneous.

Who owns NetObjects now?

website pro's i think

that kewl.. i was just suggesting...
ill have to look at netobject.. but im growing more to dreamweaver...

thanks
Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

your suggestions are very much appeciated smile

have to say i do have dreamweaver but for some reason always favour NOF... probably for ease of use, however learning the package is a bit tricky but once you get an idea of how it works, it becomes quite simple.

8 (edited by Mad-Wolfie 2006-12-15 10:40)

Mad-Wolfie wrote:

For my next project, I think it's time to start work converting one of my other sites to run punbb instead of phpbb - a bikers charity site www.stokebikeruns.co.uk

Now fully functioning the new improved, www.stokebikeruns.co.uk

I've also managed to integrate coppermine & even found a punbb template for coppermine to make the site look uniform

thoughts please.