Topic: Problems creating database user/password

Hello, I am new. Have a question, probably stupid one, but I can not find the answer, so I thought I would come here.

I am hosting at netsol.com, UNIX server with PHP and MySQL support enabled. I have uploaded the /upload folder no prob. I am now "running" the install.php file. I have experience running MS SQL and Access, but this is my first time with MySQL.

On the installation page, there is a section labeled "Enter the name of your database." Then username and password. I created a database locally on my Windows machine (called 'mybb'), but am unable to create a username. This is the syntax I am using:

mysql> use mybb;
Database changed
mysql> CREATE USER ken;
ERROR 1396 (HY000): Operation CREATE USER failed for 'ken'@'%'

What am I doing wrong?

Additionally, I am not sure what files I need to upload to the server once the database is created.

Ken McDowell

Re: Problems creating database user/password

Creating a database locally won't help with the regular install (but I'm sure you already knew that tongue)
Does your host give you any tools to deal with MySQL, like phpMyAdmin or something like that?

Re: Problems creating database user/password

Smartys wrote:

Does your host give you any tools to deal with MySQL, like phpMyAdmin or something like that?

Ahh, I should of thought of that. Yes, Netsol has the database manager, I just added a new DB. Thank you!