Topic: Post count idea

Just tossin out some ideas that came to me.

1.) When you view one of your topics the post count doesnt go up.
Some times i would leave the page on my topic and just hit refresh to see if there are any posts.

2.) Or maybe even have the post count go up once when a user view that page.

3.) Or have it go up once per visit, or day
So i view a topic 7 times today, it will only add my view once. Than the next day i view, it will add another one.

4.) Maybe have it set up so that your view wont affect the post count untill someone replys (not that good of an idea)

------
What do you think?

Re: Post count idea

i think there some good ideas, but i think that is View Count? not post count?

True. Would make some nice mods. Will have to think about that.

but do you spend time on it now? or wait til 1.3 arrives smile
if you do it now, you will have to do it again when the release arrives tongue

but what if 1.3 doesnt come out for another 6 months? would it be better to wait, or to make the mod and remake it later? who know...

i dont think ill make the mods... ill wait

I'm not sure how well it works (if at all, I haven't tested and never got a response from whoever requested it), but I posted code for this sort of thing a little while ago.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

kool, ill take a look at that

seems to work greatly so far.

Gizzmo wrote:

seems to work greatly so far.

Awesome!

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

well it seemed that guest views didnt count, unless you add "t.poster," to the second query. But it seems to be working now.

Gizzmo wrote:

well it seemed that guest views didnt count, unless you add "t.poster," to the second query. But it seems to be working now.

Didn't I put that into the instructions?

pogenwurst wrote:

Anyway, open viewtopic.php and find

if (!$pun_user['is_guest'])
        $result = $db->query('SELECT f.no_images, t.subject, t.closed, t.num_replies, t.sticky, f.id AS forum_id, f.forum_name, f.moderators, fp.post_replies, s.user_id AS is_subscribed FROM '.$db->prefix.'topics AS t INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forums AS f ON f.id=t.forum_id LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'subscriptions AS s ON (t.id=s.topic_id AND s.user_id='.$pun_user['id'].') LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forum_perms AS fp ON (fp.forum_id=f.id AND fp.group_id='.$pun_user['g_id'].') WHERE (fp.read_forum IS NULL OR fp.read_forum=1) AND t.id='.$id.' AND t.moved_to IS NULL') or error('Unable to fetch topic info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

replace with

if (!$pun_user['is_guest'])
        $result = $db->query('SELECT f.no_images, t.subject, t.closed, t.num_replies, t.sticky, t.poster, f.id AS forum_id, f.forum_name, f.moderators, fp.post_replies, s.user_id AS is_subscribed FROM '.$db->prefix.'topics AS t INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forums AS f ON f.id=t.forum_id LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'subscriptions AS s ON (t.id=s.topic_id AND s.user_id='.$pun_user['id'].') LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forum_perms AS fp ON (fp.forum_id=f.id AND fp.group_id='.$pun_user['g_id'].') WHERE (fp.read_forum IS NULL OR fp.read_forum=1) AND t.id='.$id.' AND t.moved_to IS NULL') or error('Unable to fetch topic info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

that is for when users view, but if a guest views,  the query in the else statement is used.

Gizzmo wrote:

that is for when users view, but if a guest views,  the query in the else statement is used.

Oh, I see what you're saying now. Thanks.