Topic: Nasty text issue with PunBB

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to try converting a site I have now using PHP-Fusion to Nucleus and I was going to install PunBB as the forum for the site since there is a Nucleus plugin. I know I'm going to mod the punbb for just a few things - not many - but there is one gigantic showstopper for me with PunBB.

What's the deal with what appears to be two threads sitting on top of each other in either search results or the overview of threads for a board? It ends up looking like a bunch of unreadable garbage and that seems to be a humongous bug.

Any known "cure"? I would attach an image but I can't at the moment. However, I'm certain many of you know what I'm talking about.

Re: Nasty text issue with PunBB

I have no idea what you're talking about actually >=/

Well I've never seen it or been able to recreate it and I only know of two people who have reported it. Which browser are you using.

4 (edited by simkin67 2006-08-31 14:46)

The well-loved and highly thought of IE6. Sometimes I'm forced to use it but I also know that millions of others use it (in ignorance tongue).

Here ya go
http://www.bmfmail.org/img/garbled.jpg

Does the same with the date line but didn't want to post the whole width pic.

Make me #3...:D

=/ This really is the first time I see this... Oddness.

Does it with every single page that has several threads listed sad

Have you made any changes that would cause IE to not parse the page in strict mode?

I've seen a screen shot of that before but as I say, I've never seen it happen myself. If I can't recreate it then there isn't much I can do to fix it. I'm assuming thats a screen shot of this forum? There are a number of tweaks that could be made to the stylesheet but I have no way of testing whether they worked or not.

Paul wrote:

I've seen a screen shot of that before but as I say, I've never seen it happen myself. If I can't recreate it then there isn't much I can do to fix it. I'm assuming thats a screen shot of this forum?

Yes, this forum but I've seen the same thing over at XennoBB.com *cough*. So I know its a PunBB thing.

elbekko wrote:

Have you made any changes that would cause IE to not parse the page in strict mode?

Actually, this is on a browser I cannot control or make changes to. But I was just curious that if I saw it on this browser that others would too. Since Paul states that I'm only the third of thousands to complain of the issue, I think we can assume that a very small percentage of my target audience will see this. So I'll consider it a non-issue unless I get complaints.

Wait, can you reliably reproduce it? If so, link to it so Paul can take a look tongue

Don't think so. I truly believe it is an issue with the browser on the machine I'm using at the moment. All I would be doing is linking to the same pages you would normally see. Most folks who know a little about (X)HTML and CSS are aware that CSS and IE are not friendly bed fellows. Valid code is great but sadly it doesn't always render well in IE...

So you can't reproduce the issue on another computer?

13 (edited by simkin67 2006-08-31 15:44)

Not 100% sure. When I initiated this thread I was thinking I had seen it on other computers but now I wonder. I won't be able to check it out until later so for the moment I'm going to assume it is the way IE is set up on this machine that's causing the problem.

UPDATE: Now I believe it to be a caching issue. If I go to any of the boards and see this problem, I can click on page refresh and it goes away. Just as simple as that. Weird...

What is the cache setting for IE on the machine you are using? Thats not necessarily a cache error because it goes away on refresh, it could also be a timing bug. Does it go away if you resize the page by dragging?

What is odd is that even though we all know IE is not perfect, tables are actually pretty difficult to break.

15 (edited by simkin67 2006-09-01 04:08)

Don't know...it was a work 'pooter and they've blocked access to the settings. Big brother ya know. More like Mordac, Preventer of IS. But It works like a charm at home under FF 1.5+, Opera 9.01, and IE6. Definately just the work box and its wacky config. Sorry to bother now that I reflect!

Oh, and I first noticed the problem go away when I resized the text. That's when I hit the refresh, so yeah, it may not be cache but some other oddity.

Its still a bug though so I will keep trying various config settings to see if I can reproduce it.