Topic: Something simple: Being able to view one's Profile

I don't really believe mr. Andersson checks these threads, but hey if you do, here's a simple feature request.

I'd like PunBB to allow people to check their own profiles without logging off. See, I for one can't check my own profile, because I'm redirected to the Profile Editor page, which isn't a bad thing, but in there, there's no option to let me preview my profile or anything.

I believe this issue annoys other people as well, so if you find the time and will, do add the ability to check one's profile. Thanks.

2 (edited by Jansson 2006-09-18 13:25)

Re: Something simple: Being able to view one's Profile

Personally, I haven't ever really wanted to preview the profile, except for when I'm making changes to it.

What I find even more annoying is that if you are logged in as admin or as a mod then you get the edit view of everybody's profile. Thats a pain when you just wanted a quick look at something. At one point I thought of requesting that the normal view be the default not only for admins/mods but also when looking at your own profile with a button/link to switch to edit mode. I didn't pursue it though as I thought it was just me being fussy.

Just add a link to the profile menu to view profile =P

I usually just open an IE Tab, as I'm not logged in there, but then I'm on IE sad

We can have the name be the view and have an additional edit link if we are an admin or mod.

6 (edited by deadram 2006-09-18 20:52)

Hurm, this should be easy...

line 300ish in ./include/functions.php

find:
                <ul>
?>">Preview</a></li>
                    <li<?php if ($page == 'essentials') echo ' class="isactive"'; ?>><a href="profile.php?section=essentials&id=<?php echo $id ?>"><?php echo $lang_profile['Section essentials'] ?></a></li>
                    <li<?php if ($page == 'personal') echo ' class="isactive"'; ?>><a href="profile.php?section=personal&id=<?php echo $id ?>"><?php echo $lang_profile['Section personal'] ?></a></li>

replace with:
                <ul>
                    <li<?php if ($page == 'preview') echo ' class="isactive"'; ?>><a href="profile.php?section=preview&id=<?php echo $id ?>">Preview</a></li>
                    <li<?php if ($page == 'essentials') echo ' class="isactive"'; ?>><a href="profile.php?section=essentials&id=<?php echo $id ?>"><?php echo $lang_profile['Section essentials'] ?></a></li>
                    <li<?php if ($page == 'personal') echo ' class="isactive"'; ?>><a href="profile.php?section=personal&id=<?php echo $id ?>"><?php echo $lang_profile['Section personal'] ?></a></li>

Now profile.php line 910ish

find:

// View or edit?
if ($pun_user['id'] != $id &&
    ($pun_user['g_id'] > PUN_MOD ||
    ($pun_user['g_id'] == PUN_MOD && $pun_config['p_mod_edit_users'] == '0') ||
    ($pun_user['g_id'] == PUN_MOD && $user['g_id'] < PUN_GUEST)))
{

replace with:

// View or edit?
if (($pun_user['id'] != $id &&
    ($pun_user['g_id'] > PUN_MOD ||
    ($pun_user['g_id'] == PUN_MOD && $pun_config['p_mod_edit_users'] == '0') ||
    ($pun_user['g_id'] == PUN_MOD && $user['g_id'] < PUN_GUEST)))
    || (!$section ||  $section == 'preview'))
{

again in profile.php, around line 1050

find:
}
else
{
    if (!$section || $section == 'essentials')
    {

replace with:

}
else
{
    if ($section == 'essentials')
    {

Now you default to the preview, and still have all the admin, mod, and personal options big_smile

You can visit my website, and sign-up for an account to see this in action, great idea! big_smile This bugged me too tongue

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

7 (edited by deadram 2006-09-18 22:21)

Woops forgot one more thing....

profile.php line 960ish

find:

$page_title = pun_htmlspecialchars($pun_config['o_board_title']).' / '.$lang_common['Profile'];
    define('PUN_ALLOW_INDEX', 1);
    require PUN_ROOT.'header.php';
?>

EDIT -- This section needed to be changed... (Admins didn't get the side menu)
replace with:

$page_title = pun_htmlspecialchars($pun_config['o_board_title']).' / '.$lang_common['Profile'];
    define('PUN_ALLOW_INDEX', 1);
    require PUN_ROOT.'header.php';
    if ($pun_user['id'] == $id ||
    (($pun_user['g_id'] == PUN_MOD && $pun_config['p_mod_edit_users'] == '1') &&
    ($pun_user['g_id'] == PUN_MOD && (! ($user['g_id'] < PUN_GUEST)))) ||
    ($pun_user['g_id'] == PUN_ADMIN))
    {
        generate_profile_menu('preview');
    }
?>

There you go big_smile

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

There's a mod for this already: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8427

It would be a nice feature to see though.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Glad this spawned a discussion.  Indeed, it would be a nice feature.

BTW, good job, deadram.