1 (edited by username 2006-09-22 08:27)

Topic: not sending mails

I have installed a punbb forums on my website.

But, it is not sending subscriptions emails to the users who have subscribed to the topics.

Also, it is not sending email to the users who are contacted through email form.

However I am getting email notifications when any new users joins.........

I haven't filled SMTP feilds in Options till now.

Kindly provide me with any solutions you know.............

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: not sending mails

Did you check spam filters?

Smartys wrote:

Did you check spam filters?

It is not sending new post and email contact form mails to any email account registered with any email provider yahoo, gmail, hotmail, mail.com etc.......
Can you pleaSe elaborate whcih spam filters?

Aha
I think the problem is as follows:
Whatever software PunBB is using to send the emails isn't configured properly. So it will deliver your emails (since I assume your email account is on the same server, making the routing different) but it won't send anything out to the Internet.
If you have SMTP details from your host, use them

I have a similar problem. My problem is that certain email providers for some reason don't receive the emails sent by punBB. Gmail receives then fine but Hotmail, MSN and other's don't I have pretty much the same configuration as the guy above (I haven't touched the settings in windows xp smtp server). Can anyone help? Thanks

They don't recieve the emails at all, or the emails end up in a spam folder?
If they don't recieve them at all, do you get any bounce messages that might tell you what's going wrong?
And one thing to check: lots of email providers use reverse DNS to determine if an email is spam or not. If your server doesn't have a reverse dns entry, add one

Smartys wrote:

They don't recieve the emails at all, or the emails end up in a spam folder?
If they don't recieve them at all, do you get any bounce messages that might tell you what's going wrong?
And one thing to check: lots of email providers use reverse DNS to determine if an email is spam or not. If your server doesn't have a reverse dns entry, add one

They dont get them at all. And Im not really sure where to add my reverse dns entry. Is it too much to ask to help me out. Or is there a free email sever I can try that will easily let me manage these things? Thanks...

What's your website?

Smartys wrote:

What's your website?

mmmmmmmmmm.......... even after adding smtp details its not working....... wondering if you could take a look at site...........

My website is http://cebronx.org
the forum is located at http://cebronx.org/foro

Thanks for the help smartys

Aha

[16:53] * Dns resolving cebronx.org
-
[16:53] * Dns resolved cebronx.org to 68.199.151.58
-
[16:53] * Dns resolving 68.199.151.58
-
[16:53] * Dns resolved 68.199.151.58 to ool-44c7973a.dyn.optonline.net

You shouldn't send mails from a host that resolves to a dynamic IP. That explains the not working without SMTP
Does anything send properly with SMTP? Do you get any errors, any bounce messages?

Edit: I just managed to do this:

test from Foro Cristiano - CEBronx.ORG has sent you a message. You can reply to test by replying to this e-mail.

The message reads as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

test

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Foro Cristiano - CEBronx.ORG Mailer

Hey smartys wow thanks for your help. I know it does work with gmail. That was my question gmail users do get the emails but people from hotmail, or msn don't and optonline.net don't get them too. So, like I said before my setup is very simple pretty much I just have IIS smtp server running with very little configuration. I don't even get email back because I don't know how to setup outlook to work with the server. So i can send but not receive (pretty dumb but thtas all I have for now) so yeah. Any advise you can give me is really appriciate it. THanks agian..

Checking the email headers, I found it:

Received-SPF: fail (gmail.com: domain of me@localhost.com does not designate 68.199.151.58 as permitted sender)

The SMTP server you're using is locally on the server. The localhost bit is throwing things off. I think it's configured improperly wink

14 (edited by username 2006-09-22 23:28)

Well I am having the same problem as well. After giving SMTP details gmail.com users are receiving emails from forums but yahoo.com, mail.com users aren't getting any emails. Even my SMTP server is "localhost". My forums are located at http://www.itsmynet.org/precharge-proje … /index.php

username wrote:

Well I am having the same problem as well. After giving SMTP details gmail.com users are receiving emails from forums but yahoo.com, mail.com users aren't getting any emails. Even my SMTP server is "localhost". My forums are located at http://www.itsmynet.org/precharge-proje … /index.php

Your situation is slightly different. The emails are being marked as spam in Gmail. I can't really pinpoint why it's marked as spam or why it doesn't arrive for other email addresses. Is info@itsmynet.org recieving any bounce emails that might help?
And are you sure you're using SMTP details? Some of the extra headers added on to the email seem to indicate you're sending the way mail would normally be sent (without SMTP).

greatcan: Make sure to specify Return-Path as something other than me@localhost.com. Make it a valid email address for the domain

Hello Smartys,

Thanks for your time. Well I received only two bounce emails at my inbox. There were sent after the message bounced to a mail.com email account. It never showed any bounced emails for messages that failed to reach yahoomail accounts..... here is the copy of bounced mail..........

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

vrajor_mo@email.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<vrajor_mo@email.com>:
    host email-com.mr.outblaze.com [64.71.166.195]:
    554 EMail from mailserver at 216.127.92.39 is refused. See http://spamblock.outblaze.com/216.127.92.39

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <info@itsmynet.org>
Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1])
        by fry.jamroll.net with esmtpa (Exim 4.52)
        id 1GQofM-00055O-3C
        for vrajor_mo@email.com; Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:18:20 +0000
Subject: New password requested
To: <vrajor_mo@email.com>,
From: "Precharge Projectnet Forums Mailer" <info@itsmynet.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:18:19 +0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
X-Mailer: PunBB Mailer

Hello rajor,
----------------------------------------

I can't say if the emails can be sent without smtp details but I am using smtp details.
Thanks a lot!
I really appreciate your effort to help!!!!

Well, it looks like username switched tongue
However, the bounce email put me on the right path wink
The IP the site was using (it has a new IP now) was 216.127.92.39. 216.127.92.39 is listed here:
http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=216.127.92.39

The CBL is used by a couple other DNSBLs to block emails as well. So there's the issue: the IP was marked as a spam sender

Thanks Smartys for your help! I have told my web hosting about this. Hope it will be resolved soon.

Thanks once again!

Smartys,
It seems I have a similar problem - maybe. I have the SMTP fields emtpy but I'm not getting some email. I say some because I have gotten email from users in the past but I get the sneaky feeling that not all of them are getting through. I sent messages to other people and have not gotten a single response furthering my suspisions. I tested it again by subscribed to a topic as administrator and then posting a message to see if I would get an email message. Nothing.

I also don't get bounced email messages. I tested this by signing up as a regular user with an invalid email address. I sent an email to this user as administrator and got nothing back.

Help!

No SMTP fields, so you're using whatever mail sending app is on your server.
A couple things to keep in mind:
1. When you subscribe to a topic, you will get an email when someone other then yourself posts in the topic. It only sends an email after the first post after the subscriber's last visit. So if there are two posts in a topic you subscribed to, you will only get 1 email (unless you visit in the middle).
2. Not getting bounce emails isn't a PunBB issue, PunBB isn't sending the bounce messages wink

You are right about the emails for subscribed topics. I had to post as Admin and then as a regular user before I was able to figure it out. I got all the emails. Thanks.

Any suggestions on what to tell my webhost so that the bounced email gets sent back to me?

A list of things to check first tongue
1. Send a message to the invalid email using your regular email account. See if you get the bounce
2. The from address for emails sent between users is the sender's account's email. Is that email address valid?

Hi,
I am getting the folowing message (with SMTP data being specified):
"Error: Could not connect to smtp host "smtp-server.stny.rr.com" (10053) (An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. )."
My ISP is roadrunner and the smtp data is the same as I use for Outlook. Do you have any ideas what I might check to find out what's blocking the connection? Could it be becasue I had Outlook open at the time?

regards,
DJ

PS. Just tried to send a broadast with Outlook closed and I get the same error.
DJ.

regards,
DJ

Are you running the forum from your computer?