Topic: Forum and nw design finally up

Between moving hosts and redesigning my layout, I finally managed to install and integrate the forum.

Everything is up like 2 days or so. It's very fresh, so be careful you don't scratch anything. wink

Design is a combination between my old layout and two openwebdesign.org layouts (internet services and orangetwo). *I think* it is bug free in firefox, opera and ie6. ie7 is not tested yet.

I still need to clean up the forum css, it's not merged together nicely with the original css files. Sorry about that. wink After working aprox a week on intergrating the forum I just wanted to get it online. *it's on the to-do list*

Frontpage and blog are created with Rickard's news generator. I created a seperate parser for the news generator, quicker and easier because my php knowledge is not that great yet.

Modifications on the forum php files are kept to a minimum, just some little layout parser modifications and some extra bbcode is added.

http://digitalx.org

Re: Forum and nw design finally up

Looks nice, although there seem to be a few broken images scattered around.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Really? Could you be a little more descriptive (or perhaps do a screenshot please). From my side every image shows.

Sure, here:

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/1658/screenshotmz5.th.png

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Very nice, although you should make the footer text lighter, so it isn't standing out that much wink

Ehm, that is like every image is missing. I just asked a friend online and every image shows at his side.

I turned off hotlink protection, cause that is the only thing I can think about atm. If you could please check once again, I would be very grateful.

If that doesn't work out I'll have to search my problem somewhere else. I'm I correct you are using Ubuntu?

elbekko wrote:

Very nice, although you should make the footer text lighter, so it isn't standing out that much wink

Thanks. Do you mean the date footer below the posts, or the dump | notepad | blog footer thingie?

I mean the footer of the forum smile

Ah, it was the hotlink protection indeed. I use the RefControl extension for Firefox.

Your site looks even better now. smile

BTW, is there supposed to be a small amount of vertical space between the top rounded border bar and the content? (Fx 2.0 RC3 Ubuntu Linux 6.06)

elbekko wrote:

Ah yes, ofcourse. Sorry. smile

I think I see what you mean. The footer draws more attention than the actual forum part. I turned the black text to a shade of grey.

Thanks for your comments.

pogenwurst wrote:

Ah, it was the hotlink protection indeed. I use the RefControl extension for Firefox.

Hmm, I don't know that one. Something to check. I would really like to have hotlink protection enabled. People seem to like my avatar so they directly link to it from forums. Aprox 600-800 hits a day.  http://digitalx.org/dump/ -> hotlinking.png first avatar in the top left corner. I would really like to keep this. wink

Your site looks even better now. smile

Thanks. Glad you like it. A friend of mine just told me that he didn't like the new site at all. Too much bling-bling. Female eyes told me that I should use more colors. Guess I can't please everyone.

BTW, is there supposed to be a small amount of vertical space between the top rounded border bar and the content? (Fx 2.0 RC3 Ubuntu Linux 6.06)

No. the border should be solid all around. It is solid in firefox 1.5.0.7 on windows (and ie6 and opera). I hope you aren't going to tell me I have another problematic browser on my hands are you? wink ie6 already makes me sad from time to time.

Good initiative, hope it goes well for you.

B. wrote:
elbekko wrote:

Ah yes, ofcourse. Sorry. smile

I think I see what you mean. The footer draws more attention than the actual forum part. I turned the black text to a shade of grey.

Thanks for your comments.

Much better now smile

hcgtv wrote:

Good initiative, hope it goes well for you.

Thanks. The site is already online for two years now (in a very primitive form that is) and is going ok, not great but ok. With a more appealing layout and with a forum, news frontpage and blog I am hoping to create a more interactive and 'alive' environment.

I mean, the best little utilities always seem to be the ones that people tell you about. I hope I can create a nice (not too big) spot were people tell each other about these utilities.

elbekko wrote:

Much better now smile

Yeah! wink

Thanks, it is just one of those things you don't see anymore when you're working too long on it.

Very nice... Clean, colors work perfect. It looks awesome.

B. wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

Hmm, I don't know that one. Something to check. I would really like to have hotlink protection enabled. People seem to like my avatar so they directly link to it from forums. Aprox 600-800 hits a day.  http://digitalx.org/dump/ -> hotlinking.png first avatar in the top left corner. I would really like to keep this. wink

Unfortunately, hotlink protection will be a problem for some people, possibly quite a few. Many firewalls are preconfigured to block the referrer. For partial (but courteous) hotlink protection, check out the second code here: http://tips-scripts.com/?tip=leech#tip

B. wrote:

No. the border should be solid all around. It is solid in firefox 1.5.0.7 on windows (and ie6 and opera). I hope you aren't going to tell me I have another problematic browser on my hands are you? wink ie6 already makes me sad from time to time.

Well, I could lie to you if you want. wink

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8315/screenshotlc2.th.png

pogenwurst wrote:

Unfortunately, hotlink protection will be a problem for some people, possibly quite a few. Many firewalls are preconfigured to block the referrer. For partial (but courteous) hotlink protection, check out the second code here: http://tips-scripts.com/?tip=leech#tip

Thanks for the info, learned something new today.

Well, I could lie to you if you want. wink

Nah. smile

I have changed something, but I will have to burn a live cd first to check if it fixes the problem. I should have done that anyway probably.

B. wrote:

I have changed something, but I will have to burn a live cd first to check if it fixes the problem.

Since it might be Fx 2.0 specific (I dunno, maybe), you might want to wait 'til Ubuntu Edgy Eft stable comes out (October 26 I believe) to burn a live CD, because the current version, Dapper Drake, ships with 1.5.[something], not 2.0 (which will ship with Edgy Eft).

pogenwurst wrote:

Since it might be Fx 2.0 specific (I dunno, maybe), you might want to wait 'til Ubuntu Edgy Eft stable comes out (October 26 I believe) to burn a live CD, because the current version, Dapper Drake, ships with 1.5.[something], not 2.0 (which will ship with Edgy Eft).

Ok, will do. Thanks for your help.